The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Clipping "didn't respond to request" [CAUSE:Corrupt app. Reinstall from our website.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've got a peculiar problem: no matter in which application I have text selected (or an email subject in Mail.app), an attempt to clip the selection fails with this error:

The “OmniFocus: Send to Inbox” service could not be used because the “OmniFocus” application did not respond to a request for services.
Try reopening “OmniFocus,” or contact the vendor for an updated version.

The rub is that OmniFocus is running and responsive.

~~~~
Update: solved thru reinstallation

Last edited by steuben; 2008-03-01 at 08:31 AM..

I am having this problem with clipping in mail.app (mac, leopard 10.5.6).
No matter what I do(reinstall clippotron, reinstall OF) I cannot get the error to go away.

whenever i try and clip some message content, the maill app hangs up and then I get the following error message:

------
The “OmniFocus: Send to Inbox” service could not be used because the “OmniFocus” application did not respond to a request for services.
------

If I cannot get clipping to work, this makes OF essentially unusable to me since so many of my inbox needs come from my mail app.

There are some issues with services when Safari 4 beta is installed. So if you have Safari 4 beta that could be the first place to look at. If I remember correctly Safari 4 beta .dmg package comes with a handy uninstaller that also reinstalls your previous version of Safari.

zts-it:

Thanks! I was so frustrated and baffled there... I'm glad the problem is something I can recover from... Safari 4 is not as important as clipping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uxable View Post
I wish that was my problem. I had SF4 installed at one point but had to uninstall for other reasons. I'm using SF3 and having this problem... :(
If you are pretty sure that this is primarily the Mail app problem than it could be that the mail plist is corrupted (com.apple.Mail.plist). If you are already trying to fix the problem, may be it wouldn't be bad idea to remove the existing com.apple.Mail.plist from /username/Library/Preferences/, then start the Mail program again which will create a new instance of com.apple.Mail.plist -- you will have to re-enter your e-mail accounts setup info. Of course, make a few backups before doing all this.

Here is a (more or less) informative piece on Safari 4 beta-caused problems with some feedback from users and some troubleshooting tips:
http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...90225001025963

removed all preferences, restarted, re-entered all account information....still getting the same error, damn!

If I remember correctly, one thing that could cause that error message was OmniFocus taking longer to start up (maybe due to syncing) than the AppleScript system was willing to wait for the clipping script to finish.

If that's not the cause, you'll probably want to email the Support Ninjas directly; we all browse the forums as we're able, but if you mail them, you're guaranteed a response.

It would probably help them if you launched Console.app (in your utilities folder) and entered "OmniFocus" into the search field in the toolbar. Copy-paste any info that appears in the window at this point into your mail to them, then repeat the process with "Mail". They may be able to tell what's going on by examining that info.

Either the problem is not Safari-specific, or there are multiple problems with clipping. For your convenience in troubleshooting, I have written this as a defect report. Please fix the product or provide a workaround. Thanks.

Actual Results:
In Safari:
The Safari menu highlights in blue.
The application stops responding for several seconds. (No menus open, etc)
dialog:'The “OmniFocus: Send to Inbox” service could not be used because the “OmniFocus” application did not respond to a request for services.'

In TextEdit:
Same as Safari

In Firefox 3.x:
(when key command is ctrl-option-command+C)
Audio beep plays. Nothing else happens.
(when the key command is Fn-C or option-Shift-C)
Nothing happens

Repro steps:
launch OF
Apple-,
Clippings Prefs:
Set key command
leave to: Quick Entry OR Inbox
Close prefs
restart Firefox, Safari, and TextEdit
Enter one of those apps and highlight text
Press the key command combination to clip

Expected Results:
New content in inbox, or a quick entry form. Clipboard unaffected.

Actual Results:
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowered View Post
Either the problem is not Safari-specific, or there are multiple problems with clipping. For your convenience in troubleshooting, I have written this as a defect report. Please fix the product or provide a workaround. Thanks.
You should send such things with Help->Send Feedback, which will send it to an address where it is guaranteed to be seen and tracked by Omni's support group, and also collects a bit more information about your environment, such as the exact version of OmniFocus that you are using.

Quote:
Actual Results:
In Safari:
The Safari menu highlights in blue.
The application stops responding for several seconds. (No menus open, etc)
dialog:'The “OmniFocus: Send to Inbox” service could not be used because the “OmniFocus” application did not respond to a request for services.'
In TextEdit:
Same as Safari
Did you have OmniFocus running when you used the clipping shortcut? Which version of Mac OS X and Safari are you using? What happens if you select some text and then use the Services command under the application's eponymous menu to invoke the OmniFocus: Send to Inbox service? Does the problem persist after a reboot?

Quote:
In Firefox 3.x:
(when key command is ctrl-option-command+C)
Audio beep plays. Nothing else happens.
(when the key command is Fn-C or option-Shift-C)
Nothing happens
Firefox doesn't support services. No clipping from Firefox (or Thunderbird) without some extra hoop-jumping on your part.