The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Automate syncing? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have one major .oo3 file that contains working notes on all my current projects. I want this on my iPad, so this morning I opened up iTunes, selected iPad from the sidebar, hit the Apps tab, scrolled down to File Sharing, selected OmniOutliner, and copied CurrentProjects.oo3 into the OmniOutliner Documents window.

I have three questions:

1) If I make changes in this outline on my iPad today, how do I get those changes back onto my computer tonight?

2) Is there some way of automating this process?

3) Is there am effective limit to the size of this file, beyond which it performs sluggishly?

Rogbar, we'll be adding iCloud support, but at the moment, to copy the data back to your server, you press the "Share" button underneath the document in the picker. (Leftmost button, box with a curved arrow on it.)

There's no specific number of rows or columns which will cause performance issues. Performance does relate to those factors, as well as your use of styles, the number and type of attachments....

If it helps at all, my most complex document has 14 columns, 5 named styles, and 809 rows. Works fine on my iPad 2. (No attachments, though.)

Whoops, I missed that you used iTunes to add the document to your iPad.

I'd suggest setting up an account on our Omni Sync Server - your iPad and Mac can both connect to the server and exchange information that way. Accounts are free, and they're going to stay that way. :-)

On the Mac, connect with the Finder's "Go" menu; on the iPad, it's the button to the right of the "new document" one. Check this post for a description of how another customer uses this workflow.

Ah. Since I have an iDisk account, I think I'll try that first. DO I just copy the .oo3 file to iDisk and use that as the "master" file? Do I have to manually sync to it from the iPad and from my laptop?

Thanks in advance.