The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Debian/Ubuntu version to be made available through the Ubuntu Software Center? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The next release of Ubuntu should provide the ability for users to purchase software right from within the OS (through the Ubuntu Software Center).

Being that OmniFocus (and the rest of the Omni Group products) run on Max OS X, which is Unix, I wonder how difficult would it be the make the app as a Debian package, which in turn could be made available for easy purchase to those who want it. I understand that a Windows version would, in all likelihood, require a separate code set, which may not be worth the effort for the folks at Omini Group. A Linux version would probably require less effort to generate initially, and could provide Omni Group access to a rather growing market of Linux users.

I own OF and OO, and would love to be able to use the software on my Ubuntu machines, as well as recommend it to non Mac users.

I don't work for OmniGroup, but I am a developer (Attendance iPhone/iPad application). While Linux and OS X share the same basic low level APIs, the higher level frameworks/libraries for the GUIs are different. Many Linux X11 apps can easily be run on OS X since OS X has X11, but the Cocoa GUI frameworks used on OS X are not available on Linux. There are GnuStep/OpenStep that attempt to clone the APIs, but I don't think they are anywhere near complete or up to date with Apple's additions to 10.6.

So in summary, it is highly unlikely it could easily be ported to Linux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave256 View Post

So in summary, it is highly unlikely it could easily be ported to Linux.
I see your point. Too bad... Though it would be curious to hear from Omni Group folks on this particular topic. The alternative is the oft requested Web client.