The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How "soon" is "Soon"? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotyposis View Post
ozukira - I tend not to agree. As far as iPhone OF functionality is concerned, I'm happy working with the pixelated version on iPad (and I generally hate that).
So you're saying you would not have appreciated a universal version to replace the iPhone version while waiting for the next evolutionary version of OF for the iPad? Are you also saying that you wouldn't have appreciated the choice between paying for another piece of OF software or continued used of an acceptable version of software which you already purchased?

I'm not happy working with a pixelated version, but I do so as a compromise. Every time I open up OF iPhone on my iPad, I want a universal version a little more. I also don't have any interest in jailbreaking my hardware for a myriad of reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on OG. I'm just stating what I would have liked to see happen and expressing an opinion that seemed absent from this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozukira View Post
So you're saying you would not have appreciated a universal version to replace the iPhone version while waiting for the next evolutionary version of OF for the iPad? Are you also saying that you wouldn't have appreciated the choice between paying for another piece of OF software or continued used of an acceptable version of software which you already purchased?

I'm not happy working with a pixelated version, but I do so as a compromise. Every time I open up OF iPhone on my iPad, I want a universal version a little more. I also don't have any interest in jailbreaking my hardware for a myriad of reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on OG. I'm just stating what I would have liked to see happen and expressing an opinion that seemed absent from this topic.
Well, this is a personal opinion that depends on my workflow and personal preferences, so I understand how it doesn't apply to everyone.
That said, then, in my particular case, no, I wouldn't really have appreciated a universal version of the iPhone app to use on the iPad assuming this would have simply been a "bigger" version of the iPhone app. I'm using the app for very specific stuff (I tried doing daily/weekly reviews on it, but it's not to my personal liking) which doesn't really need that much more than the iPhone. For really quick entry and/or long entry, I actually use a small notepad that I carry in a "GTD wallet" all the time. I dump all the notes in my physical inbox and enter them when I'm at home, directly on my Mac.

Now as far as your choice/pricing comment goes, the piece of software I purchased when I bought OF iPhone long before the iPad came into the picture was just that: an iPhone app. I do not anticipate software that I buy to become compatible with new platforms the software developer's is not building themselves. I'm sure in 5-10 years there'll be a much better iPad with an OS mostly incompatible with the current one; I'm not assuming that my iPhone/iPad OF will be compatible with this. New platforms require new development (new work), and there's no reason not to compensate the development team for that work.
In other words, when I bought OF iPhone I was anticipating it using it on my iPhone, and I'm doing this with much success to this day.

Also, I personally have found uses for the iPad that are beyond that of laptop replacement; thus if the iPad app was anything but a reinvention of existing conventions (like what OG iPad did), I wouldn't really see the interest in having an iPad-specific version.

This isn't a personal attack at all, btw. But actually I think there's been lots of feedback along the lines of "develop a universal app right now" in other threads, so I'm just voicing why in my particular experience/for my particular needs that doesn't/didn't seem like the most interesting option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotyposis View Post
I'm using the app for very specific stuff (I tried doing daily/weekly reviews on it, but it's not to my personal liking) which doesn't really need that much more than the iPhone. For really quick entry and/or long entry, I actually use a small notepad that I carry in a "GTD wallet" all the time. I dump all the notes in my physical inbox and enter them when I'm at home, directly on my Mac.
I think this is the key to why our expectations for the iPad version are so different. I use the iPhone version heavily. I use it to add notes to existing tasks, add new tasks, mark tasks completed, and to review. It sounds like your primary usage is just to mark tasks completed. If I spent that little time in the iPhone app then maybe I would be OK with the pixelated version.

As it stands now, the iPhone app has all the functionality I need. I'm not looking for OG to reinvent my workflow or provide any functionality beyond the desktop version. That's why a universal version of the iPhone app would work well for me.

However, as it stands now I'll have to spend more money to not have to look at an ugly version and deal with the frustration of OG setting expectations and not meeting them.

I didn't have any interest in purchasing an iPad until I read the "iPad or Bust" blog entry and saw that OG had already released OmniGraffle for the iPad. The blog stated that they began working on both as soon as the SDK was made available. I thought, "OK Graffle is already out, OF must be right around the corner. I can wait a couple of weeks for it". I had no idea that my couple of weeks would turn into several months.

I'm done now. Venting over. ;)

Quote:
As it stands now, the iPhone app has all the functionality I need. I'm not looking for OG to reinvent my workflow or provide any functionality beyond the desktop version. That's why a universal version of the iPhone app would work well for me.
A universal version of the iPhone app doesn't provide all the functionality of the desktop version, and I think it unlikely that we'll see any version that fully matches the desktop. Even the smallest MacBook screen has more than 1/4 more screen real estate to work with compared to the iPad, the ability to use things like Applescript, unfettered access to the filesystem, a windowing system, faster processor, more memory, etc. Because of those limitations, it is reasonable to build some functionality that goes beyond what the desktop currently has to make up for limitations elsewhere. Remember also that Omni tends to work on one or the other of the OmniFocus versions at a time, rolling out some new features and then bringing them to the other platforms in their next release.
Quote:
However, as it stands now I'll have to spend more money to not have to look at an ugly version and deal with the frustration of OG setting expectations and not meeting them.
With some companies, the new gadget wouldn't even run the old gadget's software, so I'm not sure there's a real basis for complaining that you're going to have to spend money to get a native iPad app. Certainly it is possible that Omni could have decided to give you a free universal app, but that is their choice to make, and I don't understand a feeling of entitlement to one. If you bought a DVD of your favorite movie a couple of years ago, and then last week bought a new Blu-Ray player and HDTV, would you expect the movie studio to send you a new Blu-Ray disk of your movie? You can play the old DVD in the new player, and sure, it doesn't show off the device to its full potential, but you've still got everything you paid for, right? You're running OmniFocus (for iPhone), on your iPad, where it is much faster than on your iPhone (unless you've got an iPhone 4). You said it provides all the functionality you need when you run it on the iPhone. If you don't run it pixel-doubled, it looks and works as on the iPhone, except with a really big frame :) If you zoom in, it doesn't look as nice, just like that DVD doesn't look so nice smeared across a big high-resolution display.

What expectation was set about OmniFocus by Omni that isn't being met, other than the ship date?

I agree with whpalmer. I also don't feel that OG had been setting expectations for a universal version of OF iPhone. The expectations OG has set for me relate to a very different OF experience on the iPad, and I trust that they will deliver.
As regards time frames, when making decisions about re-evaluating my system back when they announced the iPad versions (the post you refer to), I emailed them to ask how reasonable it would be to expect their apps by ... And they were very straightforward in their answer, indicating the plans but saying that those were goals they were hoping to meet but that without the actual platform to develop on yet, they were also expecting that it might take longer than they were hoping. I feel that the only promise that OG has made is that they are going to port all of their apps to iPad, eventually. And again, OmniGraphSketcher and OmniGraffle iPad make me trust in this promise.
I also personally think that there is little point in making an app for the ipad that doesn't take advantage of its specificity. I am indeed waiting for Omni to reinvent my workflow; if it's not what OF iPad does, or indeed what any iPad app does, I would have just bought a notebook or a macbook air...

OF iPhone has all the functionality "I need", not all the functionality of the desktop application. I don't expect the iPad version will be revolutionary as many of you expect. I hope you're not disappointed. Me, I'm just looking for a clean way to manage my GTD process. As long as the next version isn't flaky, I'm going to be pretty satisfied. You're all right, I can do the needful now with OF iPhone in all its pixelated glory. Sorry, but that offends my sensibilities.

I haven't mentioned or alluded to any expectations set by OG other than the release date.

I don't feel "entitled" to a free upgrade. I've bought the heck out of the Omnigroup's products and have introduced them to numerous others. I would like to continue using them and am willing to support their ongoing development. Had a universal upgrade option (maybe an in app purchase?) became available I would have certainly purchased it.

Quote:
I don't expect the iPad version will be revolutionary as many of you expect.
I'm guessing that you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

Curt

What a tease - I hope you're right. Hopefully next week?