The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Love OF for iPad need to be able to report Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Having been using thsi in anger for a few weeks I know have 20 GTD project running across my work and personal life

For work I'd like to be able to get a report out somehow. I only have access to windows PCs so I either need to find a way to synchronise data (I'm using the OF webdav) with a windows GTD application or run a report on the iPad (I can't see any function for this?)

any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.. B

Beau,

OF uses a proprietary .xml format. There is a forum here where users share scripts on data conversion and whatnot, but that only applies to the desktop version. The problem with the iPad is the data is sandboxed in, and the only real way to get at it is if you use a server/service to sync that allows direct access to the data (the OF one does not as far as I'm aware).

The iPad data for OmniFocus is exposed in iTunes so the user can download the data file for backup, etc. Additionally, you can mount disk access to your data on the Omni Sync Server on your Mac desktop if you wish to. Use Go->Connect To Server from the Finder menu. That way you have access to your data file on the Omni Sync Server via drag and drop. As for Windows, just browse to https://sync.omni.com/[username]/ and enter your credentials in the popup. You will be presented with a file listing so you can download your database if you wish.

Last edited by ifonline; 2010-08-16 at 10:31 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandall10 View Post
Beau,

OF uses a proprietary .xml format. There is a forum here where users share scripts on data conversion and whatnot, but that only applies to the desktop version. The problem with the iPad is the data is sandboxed in, and the only real way to get at it is if you use a server/service to sync that allows direct access to the data (the OF one does not as far as I'm aware).
The Omni Sync server can be mounted just like you would mount any other WebDAV volume in the Finder. Go->Connect to Server... with https://sync.omnigroup.com/<username>/ as the path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
The Omni Sync server can be mounted just like you would mount any other WebDAV volume in the Finder. Go->Connect to Server... with https://sync.omnigroup.com/<username>/ as the path.
You can even do something similar from within Internet Explorer (and probably other browsers) on Windows. The result is a file list instead of a mountable disk, but it still exposes access to the database for download.

Also, if there is some feature that you really want or need, make your feelings known to the developers via the Contact Omni command under the gear menu. That feedback provides much of the prioritization of their development efforts. These forums are provided by Omni, but there's no guarantee that any given post will be seen and acted upon by someone from Omni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
You can even do something similar from within Internet Explorer (and probably other browsers) on Windows. The result is a file list instead of a mountable disk, but it still exposes access to the database for download.
Thanks for reminding me — I was going to put in the Windows directions but got distracted, saw what seemed to be a fully-formed post, and hit submit!

You can mount the volume by going to Network Places and adding a new Network Place with the same pathname as mentioned before. My apologies in advance if the Microsofties have changed things around since XP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Also, if there is some feature that you really want or need, make your feelings known to the developers via the Contact Omni command under the gear menu. That feedback provides much of the prioritization of their development efforts. These forums are provided by Omni, but there's no guarantee that any given post will be seen and acted upon by someone from Omni.
Lots of help. This is a great forum. Although I'm a newbie to the Omni world I suspect the users admiration and respect for these products generates a really supportive user base.

I can see the databases and files as many of you suggest. The real challenge I want to overcome is a reporting solution. So say I have an individual project and I want to distribute it to friends or colleges at work. I'd like to be able to either:
1. Run a PDF report in either OF for iPhone or OF for iPad (I doubt this will be available for a while as it's probably not high on the list of OF development priorities), or
2. Find a windows programme that can access the data to allow printing or reporting (any suggestions here would be great).

Bear

Bear,

You might look into Spootnik. It's a third party solution that synchronizes OF with basecamp. Basecamp might have useful report generating tools.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Bear,

You might look into Spootnik. It's a third party solution that synchronizes OF with basecamp. Basecamp might have useful report generating tools.
Thanks. Had a look at Spootnik / Basecamp and it looks like great software for collaboritive working on projects. I'm really looking for a solution for me to be able run a report and print off a list of tasks / projects.

I'm resigned to continuing the search for an application that will run on XP and sync with the omni beta syunc service through the webdav protocol.