The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tags Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So what is the latest official word from Omni regarding future support for tags?

Early in the sneaky peek process I argued for their inclusion.

Yesterday I watched the video of the "Things" GTD application
(http://culturedcode.com/things/)

...and seeing tags in action makes me want it even more...

so will a future version of OmniFocus include tags?

P.S. I already purchased my copy of OmniFocus, just curious for the future!

nobody knows which way the wind is blowing on this feature?

I haven't any answers, but I continue to be amazed at all these GTD applications that are out there. It sometimes feels that everytime I look at these forums I see another one!

We aren't planning on tags for 1.0. Who knows what the future holds.

Judicious use of tags certainly can be very helpful, but as a primary organization system tagging leads to too much taxonomical fiddling rather than getting stuff done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
We aren't planning on tags for 1.0. Who knows what the future holds.

Judicious use of tags certainly can be very helpful, but as a primary organization system tagging leads to too much taxonomical fiddling rather than getting stuff done.
I agree that giving unlimited tags would make things more complex than it is needed. I have a friend who is using another software and he has so many tags that often he needs to figure out what tags to assign, and tries to scroll the list of tags all the time.

I think a more sensible solution would be to give us several customizable flags. Since we already have flags, I think that would make it more manageable, and we can still sort or filter based on flags.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Funny -- that's exactly how I feel about the hundreds of combinations possible via the "View Bar." While no doubt useful to some, I find that they lead to too much fiddling, rather than getting stuff done.

Consider the number of times users have posted, here, about items that had seemingly "dissappeared" -- only to discover, later, that they had selected the "wrong" view or had/had not performed a "clean up," etc.

While I fully grasp the current system, I hardly find it "simple." I'm always afraid something important is hidden because I've selected the "wrong" view. Conversely, being able to add a few keywords (i.e., tags) to tasks or projects (and later being able to sort by tag) seems, to me, blissfully simple and intuitive.

Of course, we all work differently, so it's about finding the tools that work best for each. Sadly, after using OF for several months, I'm not fully convinced it's right for me. Although I believe in the team behind the app, the differences in philosophy about what OF is to be (and for whom) leave a lot of questions on the table for me. That couldn't have been underscored better than in the example above. Some of us think tags would be highly useful, but a member of the development team thinks tags would lead to too much fiddling. So for now, we must either do it the OF way or look elsewhere.

Recently, in another thread, I proposed the idea of a simple, 3-level checkbox to indicate that a task is "in progress," and you'd have thought I'd shouted satanic chants in a nun's forum. LOL. Perhaps, instead of attempting to appeal to everyone, the OmniFolk should just go ahead and call OF a "GTD app."

It's interesting to observe how the playing field shifts. For some time, now, I've felt OF is the best choice, even though it (understandably) had fewer features than iGTD. But I couldn't stand to look at iGTD. Now, there's a preview of iGTD2, and while still not as clean as OF, there are dramatic refinements that will make it much easier to gaze upon (whenever it's released).

For now, I'm still trying to make OF work for me, but I always feel like that I'm forcing myself to conform to it. Then, enters yet another contender: "Things." Wow. Gorgeous. And tags! But, naturally, not as feature-rich as OF, which isn't as feature-rich as (the ugly-for-now) iGTD. And so forth, and so on....

In a couple of years, no doubt each of these apps will have many of the features that most of us need. But for now, choosing The One App is a daunting task. For me, that's still a "Someday/Maybe." :-)

well said soundsgoodtome.

I also feel a bit overwhelmed by all of the view bar options and think adding tags would be an easy(ier) way to filter views. (for the way I work)

And you are right. Everyboduy is a little different.

And again, sometimes one can feel a little, shall we say "peer pressure" by posters comments when making suggestions that don't fully, 100% conform to the GTD bible.

I also agree that relying only on tagging, or having too many tags is not the best tool either.

But that doesn't mean that there should not be a simple tagging mechanism.