The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outlining in Omnigraffle Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I know you folks are hard at work to bring all of your apps to the iPad, but I'm curious if one of my favorite features of Omnigraffle on the desktop has made it into v1.0: Outlining.

My workflow is pretty simple, and probably quite common. I dump my thoughts into the outlining pane on the left side of OG and then move them around as needed on the canvas. From time to time I use OG for the kinds of graphical creation that the iPad app seems to be built for, but more often than not I use it to dump my thoughts and then figure out what I was a honking all along :)

I presume this is not built in since it's not featured on your product page, and I also bet you've got to take the wrapping off of Omnioutliner for iPad before these kinds of features are enabled. But I'd love to know if it's in the app now or not. Thanks!

Sadly, there isn't an outline editor in OmniGraffle for iPad, you are correct that we've more or less got to get it working in other applications first.

Thanks for the response. I figured it would be some time before that function came in. Could you shed some light in whether or not connections are turned into an outline when opened on the desktop? If I build a nifty, connected mind map and bring it to the desktop, will that now have outline connections? Just curious.

Yes, if you create a connected diagram in OmniGraffle for iPad, and bring it over to the desktop, the hierarchy you created will reflect appropriately in the outline.

I didn't know it didn't have an outline mode. I just bought it to outline a complex software project but it's not going to cut it.

Please add it. It doesn't need to be pretty. ;)

Hello,
I concur with the other posters here. I work from Outlines initially and I had downloaded this app to my iPad not clearly understanding that functionality was not available (yet) in the app. It is good to know that the outline will generate when brought back to the desktop application but it would be most appropriate to include it in the app for the iPad. I was hoping to use it recently for outlining some software development ideas and now I am a bit torn. Consider this another strong request for this functionality and yes it doesn't have to be pretty.

Cheers!
~Dubhead~

Just another vote here reiterating the importance of outline entry. I too assumed it was built in when purchasing, and was very disappointed to find it absent. The GraphViz engine is clearly already embedded and you now have entry UI figured out from OmniOutliner... Thank you.

It is good to know that the outline will generate when brought back to the desktop application but it would be most appropriate to include it in the app for the iPad

I just bought omnigraffle for iPad and also am disappointed to find that feature missing. Another vote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harperrg View Post
I just bought omnigraffle for iPad and also am disappointed to find that feature missing. Another vote!
If that's a deal-breaker for you, you can get a full refund from Omni within 30 days of purchase.