The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

how do I make the second column the main one? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd like to remove the first column with numbers and make the column "topic" the only one. Is it possible?

I’d be interested in the answer too. After some experimenting it seems there's something magic about the first column which means it must be retained. I thought an option might be to copy the wanted column into a new document, but this doesn’t seem possible either. After some experimentation, the only method I’ve found is to save the document as plain text (with tabs), open it in a text editor such as TextWranger and delete the unwanted content, then import the text document into a new OO file (or just drag the text doc onto the OO icon. This loses the formatting, but otherwise seems to work.

I had a brief dig into the xml and it's probably possible to edit that directly too, the format seems very clear but I've not experimented. Again, BBEdit or TextWranger or similar are your friends.

There must be an easier way though!

Scratch that! I have the answer for you!

Go to OmniOutliner Extras page and download Useful Scripts. Once you have that, install script Convert First Column to Notes which…

Quote:
moves the contents of the first column for each row into the notes pane, and moves the contents of subsequent columns up one column. (Contents of second column get moved to first column, etc.) It's primarily useful when you've imported information from another application.
Viola!

Awesome, thanks!