The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

sp11: keyboard selection from popup menus lost Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Not sure if sp11 was first to lose functionality (might have happened in sp10), but no longer can I use the keyboard to type-select items in popup menus. This definitely worked in earlier SP builds.

Can you give an example?; it seems to work for me.

Seems to work sometimes but not others. Every site I test it works on. When I find one it doesn't work on, I'll post it.

My bank site uses them for logging in and they used to work properly in 5.0.x but stopped working in 5.1.x (when I pressed a key, they would always jump to z and nothing else) and continues not to work in 5.5. However, this also occurs in Safari/WebKit...

Another example of where it doesn't work in 5.5 that everyone can test is the Forum Jump menu at the bottom of the page here - no matter what key you press it always jumps to "Who's Online" which is also the case in WebKit/Safari.

I've figured out how to recreate the problem. I'm now using sp12, btw. I can't tab to a popup menu and immediately select an item by typing letters or numbers. I have to first activate the menu by clicking it or pressing the spacebar. Once I escape from this activation and the menu is still selected, I can finally type and select from the menu.

I have to use this activation process for every menu I tab to.

Unfortunately, that isn't a bug - it is a consequence of switching to WebKit (I'm fairly sure it was listed in the release notes at one point). Safari requires the same process for pop-up menus too, and has done for a long time now.

Edit: It's in the list of miscellany at the bottom of the page of release notes:

Keyboard form navigation: Can't type to match a drop-down box without first displaying the full list.

Last edited by JKT; 2006-05-30 at 10:19 PM..

This drives me crazy as well. I'd like to see our behavior restored here, not sure if this will happen for OmniWeb 5.5 unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
This drives me crazy as well. I'd like to see our behavior restored here, not sure if this will happen for OmniWeb 5.5 unfortunately.
So, you're saying this is not an occasion where you can modify WebKit? Perhaps a conversation with David Hyatt is in order.