The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Next start date based on prior end date Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
We can have tasks within a project be sequential.
But, how do we have the start date of the next task be on or after the end date of the previous task?

Or am I trying to think of this too much like OmniPlan?

Christopher

That feature doesn't exist in OF. (Yet?)

Curt

Christopher, how do you see yourself using this feature, if implemented? I've often wished for the ability to set a start or due date based on an offset from the completion of the previous task (example: after I pick up this book from the library, I have 14 days to read it), but even though I'm a heavy user of start dates, I don't find myself wanting each action to have a start date immediately after the previous action finishes. I'm always interested in hearing about other people's techniques, though!

If you want to put in a feature request, be sure to use Help->Send Feedback or email omnifocus@omnigroup.com so that it is put in the development database, as forum posts usually aren't counted.

I think this would be a great feature... with it being optional & configurable in the Project Inspector in a similar way to repeats & reviews.
It would speed up the progression of the main projects of the day or the week... where I'm ploughing through one action after another and I want the subsequent actions to appear in my "Do Today" list (filtered & sorted by Start Date).
Perhaps part of the planned close integration of OF & OmniPlan?

If you have an idea of a "main project of the day (or week)" why not just open them up in a separate focused window in project mode and work them? You can flip back and forth into context mode if helpful. No need to worry about start dates (except to indicate that you can't start something yet) once you've started the project that way.

All of us work differently...
I prefer to rely on Start Dates.
I will have several main projects to get through for the day plus a few singles and any actions from stalled or longer term projects that come due. I operate out of a Perspective that lists today's tasks according to start date (ie today's date).
Flipping back and forth from Project to Context mode is a pain (and part of the GUI of OmniFocus that I personally hope will be redesigned but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen).
It would be nice to have the option of cascading start dates within a project... again the operative word is option. An app like this should be flexible so that users can customise it the way they want.