The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RFE: Sync/Subscribe/Share folders or projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Guys -

So, you seem to have concurred the whole syncing between multiple devices thing. Now... I have a kick butt RFE for you. What about being able to share a folder or project with specific users. It doesn't seem like that would be a big stretch since you area already able to sync between devices.

Example usage.

Groceries: I create a groceries project that I then share with my wife. When I drink the last of the milk, I put "Milk" into the groceries project. It automatically sync's to my wife's groceries project. If she picks up some stuff on the way home, she'll see that she needs milk, too.

Chores. I can add chores to my kid's chores project. As they check them off, I can see what's left.

Team tasks, project managers, etc... all could take serious advantage of this.

This is one of those things that would take OF from a consumer app to an Enterprise app.

Collaborative workflows are something we've discussed adding support for in the future, but it's not a simple feature to implement.

You need some sort of permissions model to make sure that you can control which projects other folks can see/sync with; you also need a similar set of controls to grant/deny access to your account on your sync server.

Oh yeah, and then you have to start pulling items from, sending items to, and attempt to handle overlapping changes from multiple OmniFocus databases without screwing any of them up in the process. :-)

Adding your vote to the feature request we have open on this, though, so the rest of the team will know you'd like to see us support this. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Collaborative workflows are something we've discussed adding support for in the future, but it's not a simple feature to implement.

Adding your vote to the feature request we have open on this, though, so the rest of the team will know you'd like to see us support this. Thanks!
I'm looking to buy OmniFocus and was specifically hoping for this feature. I'm looking for a good list management app to sync across my devices, but also one that I can pick select lists and share with my wife and son.

I might buy this anyway... or I may wait... not sure yet. Either way, please add my vote to getting this feature implemented!

Thanks.

Just bought and downloaded OmniFocus yesterday with intent to share tasks in our family. Called customer support and was told we should be ok to both update separate tasks simultaneously without canceling each other out when the devices sync...only hiccup would be if we are both editing the same task at the same time, which could happen when husband is at grocery store marking items off list and wife is home adding items to same list. Would be GREAT to add a feature that will overcome this issue and make it easier for two or more people to share common tasks/projects in one family...which is a primary way we plan to use OmniFocus. Please consider developing this further in the future. Thanks!