The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Performance on "the New iPad" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am using an iPad 2 and am contemplating to buy a "new iPad". So far not too many reasons speak in favor of spending money on it since I do not play games and, in my imagination, the display does not offer much to me.

My question to those who already have "the new iPad": does its performance get better with the extra ram? Is it a significantly better experience?

Thanks in advance.

I went over to the local Apple store the other night with my iPad 2 in hand, downloaded the Omni apps, and did some experimentation to answer this very question for myself.

My conclusion was that the only noticeable performance difference as far as running the Omni apps went was that I didn't run out of RAM as quickly. The things that take a while with my iPad 2 took just as long on the iPad++ within the accuracy of my measurement technique. I was surprised enough by this that I went and checked model numbers just to make sure I wasn't using a demo iPad 2 :-) The time savings for me would come from not relaunching apps, not speedier execution. Do enough switching between apps and that might be better than faster execution but more relaunching. The display, on the other hand, offered a substantial improvement for reading text. If looking to buy an iPad as a dedicated producer or consumer of text, I would go for the new one, no question about it.

Haven't managed to convince myself that we really need to be a 3 iPad family, though, and was able to walk away without too much regret. If I had bought a 16 GB WiFi-only model last time around, it would be a bit easier to "justify" the updated model, but a 32 GB LTE model (to keep the same level) is almost half again as much. Might have to start doing something more lucrative than answering forum posts :-)

The major upgrade in this year's iPad is in the GPU which is needed to run a higher resolution screen. The only speed boosts you'll get are related to graphics. App performance will basically be the same. OmniFocus isn't a graphics-intensive app and will probably not see any performance boost.

Maybe the extra RAM in the new iPad will help handle larger OmniFocus databases?

We may see a A6 processor in next year's model? But that's just speculation...

Thanks. Yeah I wondered if the ram would make things a bit snappier. The new screen is nice (and brighter) but I'm living in Germany and (1) we are only slowly getting LTE coverage here and (2) we got other frequencies so the LTE part of the new iPad won't work at its fullest extend (which is a major fail on apples part as far as I am concerned - how can you not build a dedicated version with an antenna working for such a big market as Germany is??).

Guess I'll take another look at the screen and see if it can push me over.

On that note, maybe somebody has a recommendation here: I'm using the apple smart cover which is ok but I would like a case that protects the back to make taking the iPad with me in daily operations less "risky". It should offer the capability to stand the pad upright and in the typing-angle like the smart over does. Money is not so much a factor, I actually would like something from nice leather or such (I'm a business lawyer using this thing in meetings etc where a pink rubber case looks kinda odd ;) ). Thanks in advance.

I am using the new iPad and love it. However as far as speed of applications I see no difference between this and the iPad 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post

On that note, maybe somebody has a recommendation here: I'm using the apple smart cover which is ok but I would like a case that protects the back to make taking the iPad with me in daily operations less "risky". It should offer the capability to stand the pad upright and in the typing-angle like the smart over does. Money is not so much a factor, I actually would like something from nice leather or such (I'm a business lawyer using this thing in meetings etc where a pink rubber case looks kinda odd ;) ). Thanks in advance.
There are a ton of cases that snap on the back and allow use of the smart over as well. Try Speck, Belkin, JoyFactory, or even a search on amazon or eBay. That way you can still use the smart cover but actually protect the device as well. I used them with my 2 all the time. Will get one for this soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serno View Post
if you have ipad 2 is not worth buying the new iPad, they are practically the same
That would be a matter of opinion. I have the new iPad and wouldn't give up the new display to go back to my old iPad 1 or 2. I do heavy reading on it on the weekends and nights and the text clarity makes all the difference for me. Not to mention the color saturation when watching a movie.
As far as using it only for OmniFocus, yeah, not much of an improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post

I'm looking at this new Kensington cover:

http://www.kensington.com/kensington...new-ipad®.aspx

I was looking for an iPad case with a bluetooth keyboard but most of the early ones I've found only allowed me to type with the iPad in wide (landscape) orientation.

In a couple of other user forums, I've heard rave reviews about Kensington Keyfolio. It has a detachable bluetooth keyboard. You can prop up the iPad 3 in tall (portrait mode) or wide (landscape) orientation. It seems to be OK as far as protection is concerned. The bluetooth keyboard recharges via USB.

The Keyfolio Expert is for the new iPad. The Keyfolio Pro is for the iPad 2.