The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Download PDF or render in browser window Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I went to this page:
http://www.swebok.org/

I clicked on "Download the latest Version" on the left below the language choices. This should download a PDF file. However, I see a mostly blank gray page. If I move my cursor over the gray on the left, the links from the page are revealed.

Ahhhh, the over-200-page document is being rendered in the browser. Now I remember that the default isn't to download any PDFs. This delay was not appropriate without some sort of feedback to the user. Maybe if a file is of a certain size or number of pages, OW should ask if you want it downloaded to a file.

I then used Control-click on the link to choose to download it as a file. That took several seconds, and when it was done, the download window reports that it was a 0 bytes download complete.

I saw that Control-clicking on the rendered version gave me a choice to open it in Preview.

I'd really like to go back to the old way of having a preference to download PDFs instead of rendering them in the browser window.

I apologize if we discussed this earlier here. The search function doesn't believe 'pdf' is a long enough word to search on. That's a matter for a different thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethkatz17582
I then used Control-click on the link to choose to download it as a file. That took several seconds, and when it was done, the download window reports that it was a 0 bytes download complete.
I'm seeing the same behavior (OWsp3). I can understand incompatibilities related to Acrobat's browser plug-in, but I don't get how I'm not even able to download a PDF link successfully. That makes PDF handling a total no-go in OmniWeb right now. Strange that there's nothing in the release notes about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaro
I'm seeing the same behavior (OWsp3). I can understand incompatibilities related to Acrobat's browser plug-in, but I don't get how I'm not even able to download a PDF link successfully.
Looks like FTP links exhibit the exact same behavior.

The PDF file *is* getting downloaded correctly when I control-click it. The download window is *reporting* that nothing is there. But in the case of my example, all 1.9 MB of file are sitting here on my desktop (to remind me to file it where it belongs or trash it).

I've downloaded several PDFs using sp1 and sp3.

It's a workaround, but Troy gave me a hint of using the Terminal to set a hidden preference to force the download instead of rendering within the browser:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool YES

That's been working for me. The size of the download is listed correctly in the downloads window. If I change the location preference for downloads, I can store the file someplace other than my desktop.

But I don't like that this opens a blank browser window that remains on my screen even after the download. I suppose that's better feedback than what I was seeing above, but I'd rather just have the download window come up and see the activity there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethkatz17582
It's a workaround, but Troy gave me a hint of using the Terminal to set a hidden preference to force the download instead of rendering within the browser:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 WebKitOmitPDFSupport -bool YES
That trick doesn't seem to work for me, unfortunately. Even after restarting OmniWeb, I still get a prompt to open an application when clicking on a PDF. I think the Acrobat plugin is still interfering somehow.

I'm (not so) patiently awaiting the return of automatic downloading of PDFs. I have never wanted to view PDFs in any brand of browser window on any platform.

When I notice before clicking that a link points to a PDF, I've had success with option-clicking to force a download. But that isn't always an option. A couple of days ago I clicked a link where some JavaScript got between me and the PDF. Since I was in a hurry, I used my QuicKeys shortcut to open the current OmniWeb page in Safari, where I was able download the PDF.

-- Ward

Using the dwrite has fixed the problem for me so that 100% of the PDFs I clicked on today downloaded. Maybe half of them brought up a blank window as well. But I downloaded at least 10 PDFs today without having them render in a browser window.

Thanks, Beth, for your graceful encouragement to slow down on my speed reading. I've changed the hidden OW preference.

I'll still be keeping an eye out for PDFs because option-click avoids backing out of the blank pages.