The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Workspace issue... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have about six workspaces I swap between. I even number them so they appear in an order I want as opposed to alphabetical.

01 Startup (blank, one window, one tab, nothing loaded)
02 Everyday (five or six fora I frequent, one of which is here...)
03 Current Interests (five or so sites I'm actively monitoring...)
04 Film (work stuff...)
blah blah

The problem i am having is this. I want the "01 Startup" workspace to be, well, the startup workspace, I want OW up and running quickly so I can type in a link and go.
BUT... quite frequently I quit while I am browsing the "02 Everyday" workspace and "02 Everyday" can take an age to load. Ironically, especially if the forum open is the Omni one.... Is there a way to ensure that the workspace I want to start into is the workspace I do start into?

Put your Workspaces folder (~/Application Support/OmniWeb 5/Workspaces) in your Dock and you can pick which WS to open at launch from the folder in the Dock (alternatively, just put the WS you want as the default in the Dock rather than the entire folder). However, there is an annoying bug with this technique - for some reason, the first time you try to switch a workspace in a session, it will end up reloading the currently opened one.

Jonathon, thank you. I had heard of that trick before but forgotten it. I have my startup WS in my dock now. Should really be a preference choice I think. Always start with X workspace.

Personally, I would rather that the holding shift down as you start trick to create a new blank Workspace would instead open a window that let you select the Workspace to use (with an option to have it always shown when launching so that you didn't have to use the shift key).

Ah another trick, but one I never heard of! Perhaps the Alt key for what you suggest... much like selecting which System Folder to start up from...