The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Should perspective window be an inspector? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does it bug anyone else that the perspectives window is a window and not an inspector? There are a few things that bother me about this:

(1) If OF gets hidden behind another window, and I bring it forward by clicking on the main window, the inspectors jump forward, but the perspectives window remains obscured. This one really, really bugs me. In some ways it makes the perspectives window almost useless to me.

(2) When OF loses focus (e.g. you click on the desktop), the inspectors disappear but the perspectives window doesn't.

(3) When the OF window is minimized to the dock, the perspectives window becomes the active window.

(4) Show/hide the perspectives window lives in a different menu than show/hide the inspectors.

What do other people think? Is there some good rationale for the perspectives window to be a window rather than an inspector?

Inspectors give you information about selected elements in the current window and refer to the current window, while the Perspectives Window does not update based on the current window, and can be used to open new windows.

This is something we're thinking about, and suggestions are welcome.

Those are good points. Let me ask another question/make a suggestion: could you make the Perspectives window look and work like the Stencil window in OmniGraffle? (OG 4, haven't tried the OG 5 betas, don't know if it's changed.) That would eliminate problem (1), which is by far the most annoying (and it would eliminate (2) as well). In fact, before now, I never thought about the fact that the Stencil window in OG is a window and not an inspector.

We have a few bugs on this issue... things like:
<bug://bugs/43321> (If perspectives window is open on launch, clicking the dock icon reveals the perspectives when no windows are open)

We won't be able to change this for a while, but in the mean time I'd suggest seeing if the Perspsectives Menu can do what you want. We've made some improvements to the menu to make it behave a little more like you're expecting, as it tracks the active perspective on the current window, and has other operations that pertain to the current window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas View Post
Inspectors give you information about selected elements in the current window and refer to the current window, while the Perspectives Window does not update based on the current window, and can be used to open new windows.

This is something we're thinking about, and suggestions are welcome.
I too think there should be an option for a palette (maybe keep the full functionality in the window, and then a palette for quick switching of existing, and clearing...

Think about the layers palette in Photoshop - doesn't deal with selections.

I think relying too much on menus as the only UI pathway is very pase'

-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Tcould you make the Perspectives window look and work like the Stencil window in OmniGraffle?
Yes, that's worth considering. And it's just a one-word change (to turn the "window" into a "panel").