The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Copying Diagrams into PowerPoint Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm trying out OmniGraffle 5.1 and have hit a snag: On my Mac, I have copied a simple diagram from OmniGraffle into a PowerPoint 2004 slide. I have then sent the .ppt file to a colleague who is using PowerPoint 2007 on a Windows Vista machine. When he opens the file, however, he sees only a blank slide and a message, "QuickTime and a decompressor are needed to see this picture."

Is QuickTime needed wherever someone wants to view a presentation containing a diagram that has simply been copied and pasted directly from OmniGraffle? What's the most robust solution for getting OmniGraffle diagrams into PowerPoint (without losing resolution of the graphic)?

Last edited by PaKo7; 2008-12-12 at 07:31 AM..

You may want to print as a PDF from OG, then import into PP. PP seems happy with PDFs in my experience. Hope this helps...

Suggest exporting as Vector PICT (or forcing a copy as such via the Edit Menu -> Copy As submenu), Office 2004 and earlier rely on the QuickDraw display API, and PICT is the preferred graphics format there.

That said, the QuickTime error on Windows is due to the Mac version of Office using QuickDraw and QuickTime in tandem when copying and pasting from any application that's not already using QuickDraw, so exporting to a file would be the best bet in any case.

Hope that helps,

This always drove me crazy, too. In Powerpoint 2004, the ONLY way I could get images that looked OK was to export as PNG, 150ppi or better, then import into Powerpoint.

The best solution is to upgrade to Office 2008, since that package seems to import PDFs correctly (both Powerpoint and Word). Then you can use the OG "copy as PDF" option, and paste right into an Office doc.

I couldn't import a PDF into Powerpoint.

I have Powerpoint 2008 on the PC. OG 5.1 on the Mac.

Exporting to PICT and importing in PowerPoint helped. I then could convert the file in Powerpoint to an editable format, but it lost all the mac feel (or maybe I should say OmniGraffle feel)

But that makes sense. The PC is not a mac - it can't handle the cool factor of the document.