The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RSS 'Mark as Viewed' and google/dictionary search Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just wanted to put in my two cents for some things that I would like to see in a future OW release. None of them are really big things, but they come up enough that I think they merit a mention.

1. When I have an RSS feed in my Favourites Bar, the feed icon correctly puts a little green checkmark on itself when there is something new in the RSS feed. Great. I can click on the feed icon to get the dropdown list of all the new content and open the links from there. However, the only way to clear the checkmark is to actually visit the new content linked to from the rss feed, or use the bookmarks page to Mark as Viewed (or right click on the feed icon, I'll get to that in a moment). It would be really nice if the feed dropdown list included the 'Mark as Viewed' option along with the 'Open in New Tabs' item. Right clicking on the feed icon works great, unless I have several feeds bookmarked and nested in a single folder in my favourites bar, in which case it clears all of the feeds in that folder.

What I'm getting at here is that I would like to be able to see the little green checkmark on my favourites folder item, click on it, scan down the list of new items, open the ones I want to read, and when I get to the bottom of the list, mark the rest as viewed for that RSS feed. Then go to the next feed, and continue.

2. Highlighting text in a window and right clicking on it should give me the option to Search in Google or Look up in Dictionary, like Safari does. It's a handy feature that I miss in OW. I've seen other people request this feature as well, so I'm just putting in my vote here. If you wanted to go to the logical end here and make available all the Search Shortcuts that a user has, it's be cool if there was a Search submenu instead of Search in Google, with all of the search shortcuts available there.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morto
What I'm getting at here is that I would like to be able to see the little green checkmark on my favourites folder item, click on it, scan down the list of new items, open the ones I want to read, and when I get to the bottom of the list, mark the rest as viewed for that RSS feed. Then go to the next feed, and continue.
Me too. As it stands rigt now, when you select a link to view, the menu closes and you have to open everything up again to select another.

Monto,

Another way to view new RSS feeds is to open the Bookmarks and select from there.

Yet another way, which I use mostly, is to right-click the OW icon in the Dock. this basically present you with all your RSS links and "Check for Change" bookmarks. This does show the "Mark All as Viewed" option.