The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stupid question - Is 'release candidate' final/production quality? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Stupid question, and feel free to tell me where I should have found the answer:

Is an upgrade called a 'release candidate' considered to be a full production quality version of the software, rather than an alpha/beta? Or does the word 'candidate' mean it's a sort of final final test version before you declare that, yes, that worked, and now we'll call it a true non-test release?

I realize that there are always bugs and no one can guarantee a lack of them, I just wanted to be sure of whether I'm still just barely in test if I download this, or if it's past the test phase.

Thanks,

Gardener

You may safely start using this release candidate. It works perfectly! (it's been tested for quite some time)

Release candidate means that a developer believes that the software is now bug-free in-so-far as it is possible, but will not declare it so until a further round of testing has been completed. If further bugs are identified then a second, third, fourth etc RC will be released. Strictly speaking you shouldn't really see more than a couple of RCs at most as that implies that the 'RC' wasn't bug-free enough to be given the designation.

Therefore, RC means that the developer is fairly sure that this is the version that will be released as the final version of that update, but is putting it through one final round of testing before declaring it so (if no more serious bugs are identified).

In other words, for OmniFocus, this is close to being the final release - a few more bugs might be found but they are likely to be minor ones rather than major and it wouldn't be surprising if this was the last development version prior to release.

Cool, thanks!

So I'll take a backup and risk it. :)

Gardener