The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What, exactly, does Clean Up do? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just clicked Clean Up and everything from my inbox disappeared. I would expect only the completed inbox tasks, and those that have a project assigned to go away. I would expect the tasks without a project to remain. Where did they go?

(also sent as feedback)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprugman
I just clicked Clean Up and everything from my inbox disappeared. I would expect only the completed inbox tasks, and those that have a project assigned to go away. I would expect the tasks without a project to remain. Where did they go?
Tasks with a project or a context or both assigned will leave the Inbox when you clean it up. Tasks without a project are then visible only in the Context View. This is the current behaviour; it will change.

So if I don't assign a context, it comletely disappears? Mmm....

Quote:
This may help you find them.

Quote:
Not quite. Tasks with no project and no context remain in the inbox. All others shuffle off.

Curt

It looks like completed tasks also shuffle out of the inbox, even if they have neither a project nor context.

If it's completed, does it really belong in the Inbox? If I process my physical inbox, and I find something there that I can do in 2 minutes or less, according to GTD, I do it. I don't then put it back in my Inbox.

Why should OF?

I can think of the following case where it may still be in the inbox:

You are sitting at your computer and get a phone call. During the call you are reminded that you need to send Mike the sales figures from the latest quarter (it may take 60 seconds) but you can't do it just this second because you have to hang up the call and leave for a meeting in the next 30 seconds (the caller just kept talking). So you enter it into the quick entry and when you get back from the meeting you process your inbox and just do it.

In this case the 2 minute rules really becomes a 30 second rule. I think the general idea is that there may be some small tasks that really do end up in the inbox. How about the task you thought was going to take 10 minutes, but really only took 2 or so?

Yeah, but it doesn't go back into the Inbox once it's done. It's complete. It goes away. That's what I was talking about, completed tasks, not short tasks.

Clean Up also finds tasks that have no name, project, context or notes and deletes them.