The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help for a Newbe Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm just getting into "GTD". I've read David's book, purchased O.F. and watched the 15 min. video. In spite of that background, it looks like a steep learning curve to fully master this software (guess I need to read the manual:)

Can someone explain to me why the errand items in my inbox which are not related to projects do not show up in the context view under errands? Does it have to be a project? I've just got a few single items I need to have show up on my errands list. How do I do this?

Thanks,

Did you "clean up" the inbox yet? Once you do, those items that are assigned a context but no project will automatically be assigned a project of miscellaneous.

Nope, didn't work. The items are still in the inbox, and they still don't show in the context.

Anything in the inbox needs to be assigned a context before it will be processed. If you assign a context of errands and click "clean up" the task will be moved out of the inbox and into the default project for single actions, which is specified in the data section of preferences.

I have assigned the inbox items a context. I checked the preferences menu. Under "Clean up should process inbox items that have been assigned. . ." I selected "Both a Project and Context"

Where it says "Default List for Single Actions:", The drop down box has only one choice "Create When Next Needed". Pushing Clean up does not create a default project, and I still don't see the items in the context view. What am I doing wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msc View Post
Anything in the inbox needs to be assigned a context before it will be processed. If you assign a context of errands and click "clean up" the task will be moved out of the inbox and into the default project for single actions, which is specified in the data section of preferences.

Try setting it to clean up only items that have a context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msc View Post
Try setting it to clean up only items that have a context.
Well, that did it. But it begs the question, why didn't "Both" work as well?

Thanks

In this case it means the task must have both a context AND a project, not a context OR a project.