The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omnifocus backup folder Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am trying to clear up some space on my hard drive and noticed that my OF backups folder is over 5 gigs with many thousands of files in it. Is this normal and is there something that I can do to cut back on this?

Yes, it's normal -- OmniFocus just keeps writing backup files, and nothing deletes them. Each backup is completely independent, so you can safely throw away any that you don't want. If you have Time Machine or Time Capsule backing up your disk, you can probably throw away all but the most recent handful and still be able to consult an older backup if the need arises.

There are some preference settings in OmniFocus (in the General pane) which control the backup frequency. You always get at least 1 per day, optionally 2, and optionally another one each time you quit the program. That last checkbox can get you quite a few backups if you aren't one who leaves the program open around the clock!

By the way, if you'd like to see some automation built into the program for pruning the backups, use Help->Send Feedback to make a request.

Thank you!