The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Text coding for export doesn't seem to work Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I often use Norwegian as my working language, and it contains three characters requiring UTF-16 text coding for them to be rendered properly in, say, MS Excel.

I use both Omnioutliner and Omnifocus, and I see they have different solutions for choosing text coding. In OF, an export option is "CSV Unicode-16". If I choose that, my exported file will render all Nordic characters properly.

In Oo, however, I can select Unicode-16 in Preferences (on a general basis for all export formats, it seems), but Nordic characters only renders as they should when exported to .rtf and opened in text edit.

Other results:

.csv opened with MS Excel (2008 for Mac) cannot display Nordic characters

.opml exports are peculiar. When a file originally created in Oo is opened in Novamind, characters are a mess. But Merlin renders them as they should be... This is not yet a big problem for me since Merlin and Novamind can open .oo3s, but the .csv export is a real nuisance although I have some McGyvered solutions.

Any ideas? There must be something the OF team does right and the Oo doesn't...? Norwegian might sound a bit exotic, but I reckon other, bigger languages have text coding issues too in Oo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arild View Post
Norwegian might sound a bit exotic, but I reckon other, bigger languages have text coding issues too in Oo?
Chinese text seems to come out fine (may have received more attention ?).
I presume you have tried the 'Baltic rim' 'Latin-7' setting ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
Chinese text seems to come out fine (may have received more attention ?).
I presume you have tried the 'Baltic rim' 'Latin-7' setting ?
Thanks for replying to this. No, but I tried "Nordic ISO Latin 6" (Baltic is not included in Nordic linguistically, I reckon they have some characters Nordic doesn't). But I do believe you are right when you assume Chinese have received some more attention, the Nordics are somewhat outnumbered there...
However: I did once send Merlin's support a .opml originating from Oo (before I had it myself) and they said it had some technical dis-compliance with what they referred to as "proper" .opml-coding. Perhaps that is the case with .csv too? Like I mentioned; OF has a UTF-16 export to .csv that works fine. The strange thing is that when I set UTF-16 in Oo, the result should be the same, but it isn't.

Setting the text encoding in the preferences actually only applies to 3 plain text exports (fixed width, with tabs, MORE 3.1). The CSV export is a plug-in and hard coded to be UTF-8. I've attached a copy of the export plugins that adds a CSV UTF-16 version. Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

*update* That didn't actually work right, I'll upload a new version soon.

Ok, new version uploaded. If this doesn't work, can you please provide a sample document. Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Exports Plugin.ooxsl.zip (15.0 KB, 460 views)

Last edited by DerekM; 2010-06-14 at 01:11 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
Setting the text encoding in the preferences actually only applies to 3 plain text exports (fixed width, with tabs, MORE 3.1). The CSV export is a plug-in and hard coded to be UTF-8. I've attached a copy of the export plugins that adds a CSV UTF-16 version. Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

*update* That didn't actually work right, I'll upload a new version soon.

Ok, new version uploaded. If this doesn't work, can you please provide a sample document. Thanks!
Thanks for that! I reckon you expected this, but I now get the UTF-16 option in Oo too, and it encodes as it should. I do wish for a similar .opml fix too, though...

BR,
Arild

Changing the OPML support would require releasing a new version of OO3 as it's a native format instead of using XSLT like the plugins do. I'll log a bug on this.