The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trying to like OmniFocus, but ..... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
The basic idea was to get OmniPlan for iPad out the door.
Wow, wilsonng, you have far, far more generosity of spirit than I do. If that was my excuse to a client, I'd expect to be fired. I'd certainly look askance at a new car model being delivered sans wheels!

I also don't have your wonderful optimism in the face of experience, so many years have gone by and Omni's other offerings still lack core OS functions, such as import, export, print, Document Interchange, etc. let alone any form of integration with each other.

It's so bad it's funny that their app store blurb for OP has "Collaborate with your colleagues on every detail", that's up there with promoting "make carrot cake" as a mis-lead to purchase OF for iPhone.

I also noticed:
"The App Store policy and the longstanding Omni Group policy agree: minor updates should be free. Of course, if there is a major overhaul of the application with lots of shiny new features, we may release it as a new product, and that would cost money. But bug fixes, minor features, and miscellaneous polishing come at no cost."
If OG think they'll see another penny of my (and I think many others) money until basic collaboration, integration and core OS functions are added across all their offerings, they're going to be disappointed. OmniPlan for iPad is the first app from OG that I didn't buy out of the gate and I'm so glad I didn't. I note that the first review in the UK app store has the headline: If you don't own Omni Plan for Mac - DO NOT BUY!!!! Well, I do own OP for the desktop and I still didn't buy.

I felt almost treasonous when writing two-star reviews of the OF suite, and stated that some people are beginning to feel there's an element of "bait-and-switch" but the OmniFolk have had a long, long time to drag their products into the 21st century and live-up to that "passionate about productivity" tagline.

It's beginning to look like they're running scared that if they give users the opportunity to easily exchange data with other products we might be tempted to switch. Well then - newsflash! - some of us have already done that manually. It's now up to Omni if they want to try and win us back.

LOL. Take a deep breath. It's not the end of the world.

Power users will always be frustrated by version 1.0 of any software offering. Omni may have lost some of our emotional investment by ignoring OmniFocus for so long. That's true. But you never know what rabbit might get pulled out of the hat.

Quote:
The App Store policy and the longstanding Omni Group policy agree: minor updates should be free. Of course, if there is a major overhaul of the application with lots of shiny new features, we may release it as a new product, and that would cost money. But bug fixes, minor features, and miscellaneous polishing come at no cost."

I'm pretty sure that Omni will have a strategy to entice people to ugprade with a cheap introductory price to upgrade.

I remember buying EazyDraw 3.x on the Mac App Store because it was offered at a super cheap introductory price of $25.00. Recently, I saw EazyDraw 4 was introduced on the Mac App Store but it is considered a brand new product and selling for $95.00. Luckily, the company offered customers a transition or upgrade price. I just had to show evidence of purchase of their product on the App Store. So I just paid the upgrade price only.

All apps on the Mac App Store will have that same policy where major versions will be considered new products. We will probably have to buy major updates at full price. But I think a lot of developers are offering a very cheap introductory price for a limited time (3 months maybe?) to entice people to upgrade quickly. It's almost like being at the upgrade price.

Heck, I'm not happy with the Adobe subscription service but I can understand that may be how the world is going to drive towards.

i already pay a subscription for the privilege of using my cellphone or cable TV. I also have a maintenance plan for my 4D database development.I fear the new business model might be software developers charging for a subscription instead of paying a flat fee for software.

The Hit list offers a subscription fee for cloud syncing. That's something that some people like and some people are grumbling about. Pick a side...

Microsoft is thinking of the same thing to combat piracy. Sell a subscription service for Microsoft Office. You'll get all the updates within your allotted subscription period.

Another business that has been turned upside down is TV and movies. People have gotten acclimated to paying a subscription fee to watch everything they want on Hulu or Netflix. They don't "own" the disc anymore. But they can watch it on multiple devices and platforms.

The Mac App Store and the iTunes store has changed the business model of how software companies are doing things. I can't blame OmniFocus when they agreed to put Omni products on the Mac App Store. They had to agree to the Terms of Conditions to get in there.

We always have a choice of not buying Omni Product X and buying elsewhere. Hopefully there will be something that will fulfill our needs.

I still haven't found anything that matched OmniFocus and I'm too tired to keep switching back and forth. I got work to do.

I also have to reserve comment on OmniPlan for iPad at the moment. I've never used it and i really can't judge anything until I've actually sat down to play with it.

But here's an interesting review of OmniPlan:

http://www.macstories.net/reviews/ha...plan-for-ipad/

Quote:
Power users will always be frustrated by version 1.0 of any software offering.
Power users? ROFL! The only way to get anything out of OP is by screenshot, unless you own the Mac-only desktop version!

Omni have heard the same complaints regarding import, export, print, integration and collaboration across all their offerings for years-and-years. It's not a hard stretch for some to think it's deliberate policy.... !

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2012-06-08 at 01:54 AM..

It is version 1.0. It'll get fixed. We all make mistakes.

Sometimes we do something for a customer and it's not exactly as planned. So we work with them again and tell we both get it right.

OmniPlan for iPad isn't set in concrete. They have time to update it. Besides i don't hear Omni Group saying that this is the final version. It is version 1.0.

Yes, they have a history of taking time addressing issues. I understand that.

Quote:
They have time to update it.
I wouldn't tell that to those who've blown $50 on it, and are now calling it "a sick joke" along with giving it 1-star reviews in the app store!

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2012-06-08 at 02:30 AM..

Quote:
It is version 1.0. It'll get fixed. We all make mistakes.
It seems that wilsonng is somehow affiliated with OmniGroup LOL :)

OmniFocus is 1.10. It took them 4 years! It's four years until they made something from v1.0. And this something is still v1.X. And this something is still a toy. Power users? I doubt that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpatrick View Post
... And this something is still a toy.
Many folks really do use OF to be more productive (eg as compared to smashing at pigs with flying birds).

Quote:
... Power users? I doubt that.
Some folks consider the difference between certain other "task management" apps and OF is the level of "power user" you are, (eg in GTD).

--
JJW

Quote:
It seems that wilsonng is somehow affiliated with OmniGroup LOL :)

OmniFocus is 1.10. It took them 4 years! It's four years until they made something from v1.0. And this something is still v1.X. And this something is still a toy. Power users? I doubt that.
Sure, I'd love the extra pay. ;-)

No, not affiliated in any way. I was responding to the notion that Omni Group should've gotten OmniPlan for iPad right in version 1.0. Nobody gets anything right with version 1.0 unless it is a very simple program that does just one thing and does it well. Heck, it took Apple ten years to get Mac OS X right. And Microsoft did take its time to get to Windows 8.

I think I made good on my $70 investment over 4 years. Would we all like to see version 2.0? Sure. The whole task management paradigm has changed since OmniFocus first launched.

Well, I would put Things and The Hit List above OmniFocus in terms of workflow design because they were able to observe what OmniFocus did and provided their own twist to it. But these two programs still lack some of OmniFocus' feature set. These are all version 1.x programs.

So we can also gripe about how Things and The Hit List are also "missing the boat" when we see online web-based task management services with collaborative services. Now this post is "we are bring to like OmniFocus but..."

Last edited by wilsonng; 2012-06-08 at 02:44 PM..