The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync kills WiFi connection [A: WiFi + Bluetooth causing radio interference] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Calumma,

I thought if, like me, you have a large quantity of reference materials associated with projects, you might be interested in my workaround. It requires MobileMe and GoodReader.

I've set up a folder on my iDisk called 'refs'. I drag all project-related reference material into there. I also copy the same files into a folder called 'refs' in GoodReader via File Sharing in iTunes (much faster than trying to do a wifi sync!).

I drag the reference files back from iDisk into an Action called 'refs' which I have for all my Projects, thereby creating a link for use on my desktop. This means that one Action 'refs' per Project can hold unlimited links to reference materials. I also then type into the same 'refs' Action, gropen://refs/*.* (*.* being the name of the reference file) to enable the ability to open the reference material on my iDevices.

I'm currently managing a couple of gigs of files this way.

The added plus is that if you have iDisk Sync on, then you don't need internet access to open the reference material on your laptop. Likewise, if you don't have time to sync GoodReader via iTunes, you can get it to pull down from your email inbox, iDisk, etc. copies of the reference materials over wifi, 3g, etc., although not recommended if, like me, you have PDFs that are hundreds of megs in size!

I find another major advantage is that GoodReader opens file types that OmniFocus's viewer can't handle.

Hope the above is of some interest. :)

Following advice elsewhere on the forum, I tried putting the iPhone into airplane mode and then manually turning my wireless network link back on. This resulted in syncing working perfectly (and very fast). Once I turn airplane mode off and try to sync, bam! The wireless connection is killed (on both the iPhone and iMac). 100% repeatable. OmniFocus is the only app on my iPhone that causes this behaviour.

How long does a sync typically take? It was discovered a while back that the iPhone OS shuts off one of the radios to save battery in some circumstances, and I wonder if that is what you are seeing here. You've established correlation, but not causation.

Sync takes just a few seconds over WiFi. Regardless of whether OmniFocus is responsible for this behaviour it is currently the only app where the bug manifests. I note that others have reported similar behaviour.

Have you worked with the support ninjas on this issue yet?

Waiting for email response from support.

The bonjour related sync issue seems to only occur when iPhone connects to my wireless network using a remote base station (ie one set up to extend the wireless network). Bonjour sync appears to work as expected when I am in close proximity to the main base station. All base stations are Apple Airport Extremes with latest updates applied.

Interesting. What if you fire up something that transfers a large amount of data in a short time, like the FCC network bandwidth tester? http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fcc-m...357119507?mt=8

The FCC app works without problem. I also transfer Filemaker Go files to the iPhone using iTunes without problem.

Anything interesting in the logs on the Airport base stations when this is going on?

Not sure if it is particularly unusual, but the logs simply report that the remote base station has disassociated with the main base station and then disconnected from network. The logs then indicate CCMP key is installed, the TKIP group key is rotated and the remote base station is associated once again with the main base station.

Support ninjas have requested a copy of my iPhone console log. Looks like I've discovered a never before seen issue.