The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Collaborating on an outline? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just hit a brick wall on this. I want a team of 3, all with iPads, to be able to access the same outline and make edits to it. Can't do it anyway I tried - webdav, iDisk, etc...

Also it would be nice if this would export into some format that was usable by MW or Google Docs. Currently it doesn't work. They won't talk.

Any ideas?

J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
I just hit a brick wall on this. I want a team of 3, all with iPads, to be able to access the same outline and make edits to it. Can't do it anyway I tried - webdav, iDisk, etc...
What exactly do you see happening here? An automatic merging of changes? Locking out of other edits while someone is editing? Neither of those are likely in any sort of short-term timeframe. Only one editor at a time, provide your own interlocking mechanism (AGB invented one, or use email), just fetch the file from iDisk or WebDAV repository before editing and export back after editing. Or use a couple of rows in the document as a routing slip, check off your name and email to the next editor when you've made your changes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
What exactly do you see happening here? An automatic merging of changes? Locking out of other edits while someone is editing? Neither of those are likely in any sort of short-term timeframe. Only one editor at a time, provide your own interlocking mechanism (AGB invented one, or use email), just fetch the file from iDisk or WebDAV repository before editing and export back after editing. Or use a couple of rows in the document as a routing slip, check off your name and email to the next editor when you've made your changes...
I would be quite happy with just having three people have access to the same file - nothing else.

J.

They do...the first step is to import from the common WebDAV or iDisk volume, and the last step is to save it back. That's no different than telling the operator to mount the tapes containing your dataset, or loading the file into your address space off of a network attached storage disk, or telling TextEdit to load from your local disk. No one else can see the most recent bits until you write them back to the backing store, and if someone else makes a change while you're in the process of doing so, someone will have to put the pieces back together again. So, I oversimplified a bit in my first sentence: the first step is to make sure no one else is editing the file, then import. You'll have a long wait if you're expecting Omni to automate that for you, much less let multiple writers work on the file simultaneously!

Is there a way to do that with my iDisk if I share the file even if there are other users that are do not have a mobileme account?

j.

MobileMe needs authentication to do WebDAV, so you would have to give the other team members the username and password, which might not be desirable (if you used the email part of the service, for example). I would make an account on the Omni server for collaboration purposes, and hand out the username and password to the team. Alternatively, it is about 10 minutes of work to set up your own WebDAV server on a Mac, though it gets a bit trickier if you need it to be available from outside your network. Or yet another approach would be a Dropbox/DropDAV account for the team to use. Common thread is that there's an account on a server that everyone can access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
MobileMe needs authentication to do WebDAV, so you would have to give the other team members the username and password, which might not be desirable (if you used the email part of the service, for example). I would make an account on the Omni server for collaboration purposes, and hand out the username and password to the team. Alternatively, it is about 10 minutes of work to set up your own WebDAV server on a Mac, though it gets a bit trickier if you need it to be available from outside your network. Or yet another approach would be a Dropbox/DropDAV account for the team to use. Common thread is that there's an account on a server that everyone can access.
Got it. Thanks. I was hoping there was an ability on MobileMe to share a file without having to give out access information. I had no easy way to check it. Setting up the webdav is something I can do on my server at work, but I was hoping for it be simpler.

J.

I don't think there is, even with the Family Pack, though it might allow you to give out different credentials to each member of the "family".

Longer-term, my guess is that if Omni does ever opt to provide some sort of syncing mechanism that operates on a per-row basis (like OmniFocus), perhaps it will also make sense for them to package a WebDAV server in OO4 along the lines of how they did for OmniFocus, though probably the first choice will be to do it as part of the Omni Sync Service. Might be a good time for some feedback on the desirability of some sort of ad hoc collaboration setup.

I think at some point not far away, there is going to be a narrowing of options and standardization around cloud storage with filesystems on devices that handle it rather than on an application basis. This has got to be a mess for application developers to sort out. I know it certainly is for users.

Collaboration is one of the big reasons for cloud access and getting bigger. OO and OF are two products that ought to be able to adapt to that aspect at some point.

J.

sync between OO and Of?
anyone explored the possibilities? any applescript?

thanks

amelchi

Last edited by amelchi; 2011-05-21 at 01:00 AM..