The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Traveling list Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all,

I am trying OminFocus, and would like to make a list that I will use over and over again before I travel.

Like, toobrush, batteries, chargers, etc

What is the best way to accomplish this and be able to reuse it (not re-entering things every time)

I am assuming that when I check an item it will disappear, so how do I prevent this?

Any ideas
Thanks in advance

I look forward to seeing other approaches to this, but here's what I do. I have a folder I have titled "Project Templates" in which I put in various projects that are repeated, but not at regular intervals (Class Planning, Travel, Conferences, etc.). I put all of these projects on hold so they don't show up regularly, but when it comes time to use them, I copy the project, make the copy an active project, drag it to the appropriate folder and make any adjustments I need to.

Curt Clifton has an applescript which you can use to plug in titles, start dates, etc. that is really handy for conferences (you put placeholders in your template then "Populate" the template using his script. It creates it's own copy with the variables inserted, which I then place in the appropriate active folder. See http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~clifton/software.html for a list of his scripts.

Hope this helps.

When you check an item, it doesn't disappear until you use the Clean Up command or change your view settings or perspective. Even then, it is not deleted; it is just hidden unless you have your view bar set to show All or Completed actions.

When I go on a trip, I use such a list in OmniFocus and check off things as I do them or pack them. My list includes things like setting an out-of-office email if appropriate, and turning off the main water valve in the winter, as well as packing. When I'm done and all set to go, I select the project, show completed items, select them all, and use the contextual menu to mark them uncompleted, so I have the list to complete the next time it's necessary.

There's a lot more discussion on the topic here: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=4374

But here's the way I do it:
1) Create a folder called "Templates" at the bottom of my list.
2) Inside that, create a "Traveling" project
3) Put that project "On Hold" in the inspector (This keeps its actions from showing up in views of things you 'ought' to be getting done.)
4) Start adding all those items to this project
5) At the bottom add an "Update Packing Template" item
6) When you need to go somewhere, select the "Traveling" project and copy and then paste it.
7) Now drag the copy to wherever it goes in your project hierarchy
8) Make the project "Active" and set a due date on it. Maybe even rename it to "Packing for Seattle visit" or wherever you're going.
9) Add anything specific to this trip such as "Umbrella" or "Mariners Tickets"
10) Do the stuff on the list
11) That last item on the list is to remind you to take the time to go back and update your template if anything has changed, like you got a cat and now you need to remember to arrange for its care before trips.

[Wow, you guys are quick!]

Thank you all for your input.

My problem was I thought the vanishing act was forever.

Thanks again everybody!