The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Folder/Project/Action Group UML class diagram Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi everyone - I'm new to OmniFocus and have been playing around with the capabilities of Folders, Projects and Action Groups. I've drawn a UML class diagram to represent my understanding of what relationships are possible.

Can someone confirm that I have this right please?

Refer to the attached drawing which basically says:
A folder can contain other folders
A folder can contain projects
A project can contain Action Groups.
A project can contain Actions
An Action Group can contain other Action Groups.
An Action Group can contain Actions.

So for example, a Folder cannot directly contain Actions.

edit: Action Groups can contain other Action Groups
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OmniFocus-Class-Diagram.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1533  

Last edited by ZyronEnder; 2010-08-15 at 06:13 PM..

Action groups can also contain action groups.

And don't forget single-action lists. They're similar to projects but vary in some important ways.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
And don't forget single-action lists. They're similar to projects but vary in some important ways. -Dennis
Yeah, thanks I had this as a subclass of "Project". In my diagram, I called it both "Single Action" and - my own term - "Independent Actions" because each action contained in it is independent of the others.

BTW, I think that the OmniFocus manual would benefit from a diagram similar to this because having read the manual some of the relationships shown in this diagram weren't clear from reading the text. For example, I didn't realize Actions couldn't go directly in a Folder until I tried to do it. etc, etc.

Anyone else agree?

Yes, I agree. That would be very helpful for new users. Although, UML might not be the best format for ordinary people. :-)

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Although, UML might not be the best format for ordinary people. :-)
Honestly, are the people that use OmniFocus really ordinary? ;)