The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Community > Omni Lounge
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Any chance of Univeral Binary games? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Omni has done quite a few game ports which they can be very proud of. However, have Omni stopped all game development or is there any way we'll see a Universal Binary of eg Alien v Predator 2, which does not run under Rosetta.

I'm presuming Omni might not still have a license to develop these games, but possibly could someone see if they can grab the PB project and compile it under Xcode / GCC 4? Maybe by some miracle it will be able to compile with no problems, as your wonderful Quake 3 port did in the early days of Intel Macs.

I play WW2 Online (A war simulation) and believe me, it is not that easy to port a full feature program to Universal binary. The game I play had to move to Cocoa (from Carbon), C++ (from plain C) and they actually helped some huge game library companies universal versions just to get ready. Yes,they had to code free for a company which they purchased library/SDK from.

If it was that easy, they would do it of course. Steve Jobs "It is only a single click on Xcode" is only right for applications that opens a window and says "Hello World!" :)

I think Quake III has a chance if Mr. Carmack opens the source code as he did in other games,when they get old. That time, Omni guys can open their port code too?

Still, it will need lots of work by others.