The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can't assign clipping shortcut Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have two computers I've got OmniFocus installed on (both running latest Leopard) and on one of them I've assigned Ctrl-G as my clipping shortcut and it works great. I don't remember having to unassign this from the system preferences as a shortcut for something else.

I just installed the other one this week, and when I went to assign the same shortcut, OmniFocus tells me it's already taken as a system-wide shortcut for something else. But I have no clue WHAT it's assigned to--it doesn't seem to do anything, and it doesn't show up on the System Preferences Keyboard Shortcut settings anywhere, so I couldn't reassign it if I wanted to.

Anybody know what that shortcut is, and why it would exist on one Mac and not another? Any idea how to override it? Thanks...

/mike

Seriously, no one has any reply to this? I thought I was going to get slammed with responses telling me how stupid and trivial my question was.

It is possible that its used as a shortcut by a third party application's Service, especially if you have different apps installed on the two machines (check your Services menu to see if that is the case).

Anyway, I go for broke with mine and use ctrl-option-cmd-space to do my quick entry into OmniFocus... not much chance of any conflict there (I hope!) ;)

There is an issue with PPC Macs and setting certain clipping shortcut combinations.

Is one of these macs running a PPC processor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas View Post
There is an issue with PPC Macs and setting certain clipping shortcut combinations.

Is one of these macs running a PPC processor?
Yes, actually--the one that works fine with Ctrl-G is an Intel, the one that doesn't is a PPC. I've tried gobs of key combinations and hardly anything's available, so it's definitely a problem somewhere. Any workaround you're aware of? Thanks...

One workaround is to use a different key combination, of course. I recommend cmd-shift-, (aka cmd-<) which corresponds nicely to the clipping shortcut hardwired in OmniOutliner (cmd-shift-. or cmd->). It works with both Intel and PPC, and Omni's CEO uses it, so I think it will keep working for the foreseeable future :-)