The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Actionable groups and projects :( [Can hide: see thread.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by patgallant View Post
It seems that the only way to add actions to a project from context view is to double click on it (or use Option+Command+R) right? If I select a project in my context list and try to add a child (Command+}) it beeps at me.
Or bring up the quick entry window via your quick entry shortcut or toolbar button. Not ideal if you need to do some rearranging of existing material as you add the new actions, but for just tacking new stuff on at the end (the scenario where the project pops into the context view after all the actions are completed) it works fine.

I agree with everyone who does not find actionable projects acceptable. It is not a question of "choice". OmniFocus is not a feature rich task manager, it's a GTD tool, frankly, it is the only one. If it ever stops being one, I will return to Ken's GTD extension for OmniOutliner.

I'm not a fancy-pants GTD purist, but if I wanted a tool to manage my upcoming tasks next week, I would not need GTD. GTD is meant to manage all aspects of your life, and if the system "works" for you, you will end up with many hundreds of items in it (the "maybe someday" projects, the deferred ones, things that I know I need to do in 3 years from now, etc.)

The glory of GTD is that even with this huge amount of projects and tasks in it, it completely avoids clutter and draws your attention to what's important here-and-now.

EXCEPT if you start to treat projects as actionable. Then clutter is unavoidable.

There is absolutely no way to organize your projects well AND make sure every single parent item is actionable. "Sell car to Mike" is NOT actionable, and will never be (try). But let's say for argument's sake that it is, how would you make sure your other 50 parent items are also actionable? Have all an appropriate context? An appropriate timing?

And I won't even get into why reviews are important, instead of just "ticking" out your projects in context mode.

Discussing how NOT to do GTD with OmniFocus is like discussing how to make an artistic drawing in Autocad. You can if you really really want to, but why on earth would you? There are simpler, cheaper tools out there for you to do that.

Anyway, you can to some extent disable this horrible, horrible function, but the trend here remains worrying.

http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnifocus/

Quote:
OmniFocus is designed to quickly capture your thoughts and allow you to store, manage, and process them into actionable to-do items. Perfect for the Getting Things DoneŽ system, but flexible enough for any task management style, OmniFocus helps you work smarter by giving you powerful tools for staying on top of all the things you need to do.
If it said it was a GTD-only tool I personally would not even consider it.