The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Single window mode Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Nice addition, except it looks like you just took the old hidden pref and added a UI for it...

There is still no way to trap ONLY target=blank links (as in SafariStand); it's every link or nothing.

Also, just like with the old hidden pref javascript popups mess it up; if you set the new pref to "open in same window", then the javascript popup replaces your current window -- and, worse, resizes the window and eliminates the address bar.

For example, I was on http://www.rokenbok.com xmas shopping and clicked on the "inventor's set" graphic on the home page. Try it.

The preferences are totally rewritten and of a different implementation from the old hidden preference.

The problem you're seeing on http://www.rokenbok.com/ isn't new actually. This is happening because the site uses an onclick as well as a regular Target blank link. You should be able to see the same problem in 5.5.1 as well.

It has come up that this doesn't address the only trap target="_blank" issue. What we did do is make the from third-party sites link do what it specified (always force links regardless of whether it was a target or not) and added the ability to change the behavior for the 1st party links.

The ability to make them background tabs has also come up...

Thanks Troy. I thought it was the old way due to the behavior of the site indicated, which was the way the old pref handled js pop-ups. I'll try it further.

What I still would like to see, though, is a way to handle links as written EXCEPT when the site authors force a new window via target=_blank. Those windows I'd like to force into a new tab. This is the way SafariStand works, which is IMHO perfect.

For now, though, even being able to force all links to the same window (or a new tab) is a huge improvement, since basically all I'm trying to do is not open any new browser windows unless I open them.

I hate when site authors decide to force me to open a new window!

Actually, it's a problem on many sites, including my own. Go to "illustration" and click the link to view the robot larger. IMO, this is a pretty ordinary popup link:

Code:
<a href="#" onclick="MM_openBrWindow('pop_robot.html','robotBig','width=800,height=600')">Click to View Larger</a>

I actually can't reproduce it on your site. The link opens in a pop-up and nothing in the main window.

The first example was using onmousedown and you're using onclick.

You get the same results on both pages?

You're right, the pop-up on my site is completely broken in OW.

See this page I set up to show what I get in OW and Safari.

You got me. Rachael, is on the case!

So, wait: is the old (hidden) implementation—any time a site tries to open a new window, make it a new tab instead—simply dead? Because that was one of the main reasons I was able to stick with Omniweb. Having the new windows open up is absolutely frustrating, and very confusing—but it would be just as frustrating to have to have each out-of-site link open a new tab.

We're going to see what we can do here.