The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Generic icons in notes/attachments? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
In Omni Outliner, when I drag an embedded image into a note / comment field, there's a tiny version of the image's custom icon displayed. When I embed an image in an OF item's note/comment field, the icon's just a clunky, generic JPEG.

Is there some way to have OF display the item's custom image preview icon?

Thanks!

Not currently, but if you're on Leopard you can select the icon and hit spacebar to preview the attachment with Quick Look.

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Not currently, but if you're on Leopard you can select the icon and hit spacebar to preview the attachment with Quick Look.

-Dennis
Thanks, Dennis. I'm surprised the OF interface is less elegant than the Omni Outliner one - not only is the custom preview missing, so is the name of the embedded image file. The Quick Look option is a useful interim fix, though.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastgasp View Post
I'm surprised the OF interface is less elegant than the Omni Outliner one - not only is the custom preview missing, so is the name of the embedded image file.
That's really a matter of opinion and what's important to you. Personally, I'd rather have the Quick Look functionality in Omni Focus over the tiny icon and embedded name used in OmniOutliner. But to each his own.

If I remember correctly, the Omni Group has stated that attachment names have already been implemented for OmniFocus 1.7. I think sneaky peaks are due to begin shortly. Not sure if they'll be including icon previews.

-Dennis

Quote:
That's really a matter of opinion and what's important to you. Personally, I'd rather have the Quick Look functionality in Omni Focus over the tiny icon and embedded name used in OmniOutliner. But to each his own.

-Dennis
Hmmm.... I was just reviewing my OF file and realized that I DID have the functionality I'm looking for, but now it's apparently gone. One example: I bought what turned out to be a great bottle of champagne for a retirement party. I wanted to get more. I went online, found details about the vintage, and pulled a small image of the bottle/label into an OF project notes field. It's still there, displaying (elegantly and usefully, in my opinion) the full image.

I don't think the current behavior for embedded graphics - to show a tiny square "Preview" logo icon with JPEG - is an improvement. But because I'm seeing both behaviors (full color, nice preview image and truncated icon) in the same OF file, I'm wondering if I still can have the image show by default.

I'm using OF Pro 1.6.1 (v77.16.6.0.112316). Tried to attach a screenshot of the preferred behavior, so we'll see if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastgasp View Post
I don't think the current behavior for embedded graphics - to show a tiny square "Preview" logo icon with JPEG - is an improvement. But because I'm seeing both behaviors (full color, nice preview image and truncated icon) in the same OF file, I'm wondering if I still can have the image show by default.
I think OmniFocus displays the image if it's under a certain size, otherwise it shows the file's icon. I'm not sure what rules it uses to decide whether an icon or the full image should be displayed. After a cursory look through my library, it seems to maybe be around 48K, but I'm not sure if that's the only rule used. I suspect OmniFocus does this for performance reasons.

Your earlier post made it sound like you were looking for icon previews (i.e. attachment icons that depict the file's contents in the icon itself, like the Finder offers). This, of course, is somewhat different from what we see in OmniFocus 1.6.1, which displays the actual contents of certain files rather a preview icon.

Whether you want preview icons or actual file contents to always be displayed inline (regardless of performance impact), the next step is to send a feature request to the Omni Group via the Help -> Send Feedback command in OmniFocus. Maybe they'll consider some of these options for a future release.

-Dennis

Quote:
I think OmniFocus displays the image if it's under a certain size, otherwise it shows the file's icon. I'm not sure what rules it uses to decide whether an icon or the full image should be displayed.
Any image greater than 512 pixels in width or height will be represented by a file icon. This is configurable via the hidden OSImageAttachmentMaximumSize default. For example, if you'd like to change this limit to 1000 pixels, you would enter this in a Terminal window:

Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus OSImageAttachmentMaximumSize -int 1000
After doing this, quit and relaunch OmniFocus to see larger images inline.

(I knew we'd posted this information somewhere at some point, but it took me a while before I found it buried in the release notes archive…)

Last edited by Ken Case; 2009-05-22 at 02:14 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Any image greater than 512 pixels in width or height will be represented as a file attachment (typically a full-page PDF document). This is configurable via the hidden OSImageAttachmentMaximumSize default. For example, if you'd like to change this limit to 1000 pixels, you would enter this in a Terminal window:

Code:

(I knew we'd posted this information somewhere at some point, but it took me a while before I found it buried in the release notes archive…)
Thanks, Ken. This clears up the varying display behavior. I had done some digging myself on the forum and elsewhere, but I figured someone would know where the secrets were buried...

And thanks to Dennis, too, for helping to clarify the issue at hand.

Tim

Very handy, indeed! Thanks, Ken!

-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Any image greater than 512 pixels in width or height will be represented by a file icon. This is configurable via the hidden OSImageAttachmentMaximumSize default. For example, if you'd like to change this limit to 1000 pixels, you would enter this in a Terminal window:

Code:

Ken, I just tested this and it worked like a charm. Thanks again.