The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Importing OF into OP Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi all...

I am trying to import my OmniFocus actions into OmniPlan.
When I do, I determine how I would like my OF start and due dates to display, and I also select that I would like my Contexts to display as dependencies.

However, once the import is complete, my start and due dates do not import (the import as today's date only), the amount of time shown for each action is 1 day, and my contexts/dependencies are nowhere to be found :(

Basically, my tasks show in outline form and the notes translate over, but that's about it.

Can anyone offer some assistance?

:)

Thanks!

this may be a dumb question but do your omni focus actions actually have time required assigned to them , if they don't they'll import as 8hr or whatever one working day translates to in your omni plan prefs .

Hi... Hmmmm well some do and some don't.
Here's an example of one that does:

I have an action to "Review and amend outline with Jason"
Estimated Time: 2 hours
Start date: 9/24 Due Date: 9/26.

When this translates to OP, I get:
Effort = 1 day
Duration = 1 day
Start and end times, today's date, 9/25

I have tried assigning my OF start and end dates to both Constraint and Planned Start and end times, but I can't get my OF start or due dates to transfer over.

? not sure what I am doing wrong...

What format are you exporting from OmniFocus to? CSV?

Hi Lizard

I've tried exporting both CSV and CSV UTF-16 multiple times (I'm not a techie so I don't know what the UTF-16 is but tried it anyhow lol).

I am using a "try out" version of OP to make sure it works before I purchase, and I own OF. Could that be an issue? I know that importing a certain # of tasks disables some features? Long shot but thought I would ask...

:)

Thanks!

UTF-16 is for being smarter about handling some unicode characters, used in some foreign languages that have different alphabets than English. So it's probably not relevant here.

When you import into OmniPlan, you should get a little dialog with a two-column list. Make sure you choose the matching columns for each bit of OmniFocus data you want to put in your OmniPlan file. If any data from OmniFocus (such as Context) doesn't have a corresponding column in OmniPlan, you can choose "Import Custom Data" and OmniPlan will add a new column for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	columnMapper.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	719  

Hi Lizard!

Horray, I followed the JPG exactly and it worked. I had been using slightly different settings for the import. Thank you so much :)