The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Saving or exporting a section Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Does anyone know how to export or save a section to another OO file, text or preferably HTML as my notes need to be made available to other departments ?

I use OO a lot to track info and projects but when a project is complete I need to save all the entries, notes and emails that were generated during the project then I can delete the section from my main file.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper
Does anyone know how to export or save a section to another OO file, text or preferably HTML as my notes need to be made available to other departments ?

I use OO a lot to track info and projects but when a project is complete I need to save all the entries, notes and emails that were generated during the project then I can delete the section from my main file.

Thanks
Have you tried printing the sections in pdf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper

Thanks
Not something I have done, but you could try:
(1) Hoist that section, then export (File menu) to either of those formats, or RTF, or print to PDF.
(2) If you want to retain it as an OO document, open a new one at the same time and copy/paste or drag the section into the new document and save that under a suitable name.
Then unhoist the section in the original document and delete.
Or
(3) Just select the whole section (in the drawer?) cut it and paste it into a new OO document.
I use OOP, by the way, but I presume all those options are also available in OO.

Mark

I'd also like to put in a request for this.

One of the great things about OOP, is sections and the ability to have information about multiple related things in a single document. For example, I keep an issues list for a large initiative (with multiple sub-projects) in a single document, e.g.:

> Level 1: Sub-project 1
>> Level 2: Open Issues
>> Level 2: Resolved Issues
> Level 1: Sub project 2
>> Level 2: Open Issues
>> Level 2: Resolved Issues

...and so on. (this lets me search a single doc for an issue, rather than multiple docs).

I make this information available to project teams by exporting the issues list to HTML and sticking it on a server somewhere.

The individual sub-projects, however, have different teams, and some of the information on one sub-project would be considered confidential to people on another...meaning that I would want the ability to export a section at a time (i.e. Export Selection as HTML...), and not have to go through the hassle of (1.) Select Rows, (2.) Paste into a new document, (3.) export that new document to HTML.

The fewer documents I have to deal with, the better. Simplify, simplify...

Thanks!

In the meantime, if you print, under the OmniOutliner Pro options you can choose to only print the selection:

So instead of posting html, you could Print to PDF and post that online instead.

Edit: It would be good to have all those print options available when exporting...

Exporting sections of an outline is something we will be considering adding an ability for in the future.

However, if your document is in such a way that you can hide all the confidential info by collapsing that section, you can collapse all but the pertinent section and then when you export to some format, you will only see the exposed text. The formats you can export to for this would be Plain Text, RTF, RTFD, HTML (only the 'HTML' option, not dynamic or any others), or you can go Print -> Save to PDF.

And just a reminder, if you want to make an official feature request, please send an email to omnioutliner@omnigroup.com

Thanks!

--
Derek M.
Support Ninja
The Omni Group