The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nested Projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I thought OmniFocus supported nested projects, but I can't figure out how to make that happen.

For instance, I was looking at this Example of how someone uses OmniFocus:

http://technicallysimple.com/article...use-omnifocus/

And under the "Creating Containers for Tasks and Projects" heading, there is a picture of various projects under a business project, and other projects under a personal project. This is one of the main reasons I bought this software. Is this feature available? If so, why is how to make it happen not intuituvely designed?

You can nest projects in all versions of OmniFocus. In your project, create a task which will be a nested project. Then create a 2nd task (which will be the first task in your nested project.

Tap the 2nd task to bring up the action dialog box. At the bottom of the "info" tab ther is a button titled "Move". Tap this button and choose the first task. This will nest the 2nd task inside of the first.

In Omnifocus nested projects are actually called "action groups".

Thank you, masoric!

That's not very intuitive. I wonder why they didn't design it to be more obvious.

They did; you can drag any action under another. I'm not sure how they could have implemented it any easier than that.

Any view of an outline in every application I can think of would handle it that way.

Emory...

I was trying to set up the system before adding the various tasks to it. I've gone through the process of designing my system repeatedly as I have tried out different programs to try to handle it, so I know what I want already.

The way it's set up, nothing can be a secondary project until you add a child to it so, you can't just create the project where you want it, you have to create it and then create something else and move it into what is only called an action in order for it to attain project status.

That is not intuitive, and it forces me to think ahead of where I'm at in the setup process.