The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Other WebDAV
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Try Free WebDAV Sync if Apache won't work Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
When I first got OmniFocus for my iPhone, I was having a lot of trouble with the WebDAV option. I set up an Apache DAV through my local network, and followed all the instructions provided,
http://manas.tungare.name/blog/2008/...cus-to-iphone/
--but to no avail. It would get part way through syncing and come up with an error message. There was also the concern that creating a local server when my laptop isn't on all the time would be a pain in the long haul.

I had signed up for the free trial of MobileMe to hold me over, but it's not really a good investment for me--I already have SugarSync for my shared files, and only really wanted the service for OmniFocus. I decided as a last ditch effort to sign up for free webDAV at sharemation.com, and downloaded Goliath to manage and view the account easily from my desktop.

Lo and behold, it works seamlessly. I've tested syncing from computer and iphone alike with test folders. I don't know if configuring my computer for Apache helped, or if the recent updates for OmniFocus Sneaky Peek did anything, but webDAV from sharemation is easy, fast to sync and free. I sound like an ad, but after all the headaches and worrying how I'd organize myself with no money after these trials ran out, it's really a relief.

Hope that helps anybody else with syncing troubles.

THanks for that post.

I´ve been struggling with configuring the Apache server on my mac with no luck what so ever all day using the same guide everyone is using to set up webDAV on my mac. I accidentally lost the URL to the guide and while searching for it I stumbled on your post.

This workes like a charm and hopefully others can see this post.

Peace.

Levy

Could you post a little more detail about how to access sharemation? I registered, but I can't find out what url to use to connect via other than the web.

I followed the directions and got WebDav to work on 10.5. But to be honset, the Get Things Done method requires you have an "Instant way of capturing inbox items for later review". Now, this is 3x5 cards sadly for a person who is very automated and uses 2 laptops for work. Hence I jumped at Omnifocus for Iphone. Purchased an Iphone 3G just for the purpose of running OmniFocus despite the horrible 3G network on Wall Street, at NYSE where I work. (If it isn't good there, I don't expect it to be good many other places, and indeed most parts of the largest county in the US (Nassau county, you are in Edge mode).
The point is I am putting up with a lot of grief for Omnifocus instant capture to get rid of 3x5 cards. With my Macbook pro on DHCP, the IP changes every 4 hours at work. This means I have to update the IP on Iphone at least 2-3 times a day. It simply is poor.

This has nothing to do with Omnigroup and everything to do with poor communications support from Apple. WebDAV, Bounjour is no better.
One thing missing IMHO, from the apple ideology is "Security" and ease.
One think present is "Control". (Need I mention applications only available via appstore? or $40 nickle and fime you to death on 40 cent USB connector devices?).

How about building the sync in to itunes like many other things Apple? Because Apple does not play well with its software development supporters.
(Compare volume of Windows app's vs Mac, and Mac popularity is growing. If for little more, I regularly tell co-workers Windows XP pro runs faster on the Macbook/Pro than a native intel processor with parallels, and I explain why this is. Some boot up Mac OS and immediately go in to Win xP on Parallels and never see the Mac OS/X.

Lack of "going with the majority" causes more problems than it has to. Look at syncing a Mac ical with Outlook, or even Entourage. A nightmare when it don't have to be. All over "What is a category". Sorry for the rant, but I am beginning to feel that Steve Jobs is not that far off of those that say Bill Gates is evil with the MS empire. Steve Jobs is no angel either. I purchased this extra macbook, the Iphone 3G, support, nearly $4000 to run my GTD productivity application, and the applications are there. The hard part is syncing Omnifocus on a iphone with a Macbook. That is very sad, and I am about to toss in the towel, go back to a PC and use "VIP TEAM TO-DO List"
for $125.

Quote:
The hard part is syncing Omnifocus on a iphone with a Macbook.
Our Bonjour syncing is coming pretty soon now. Hopefully it will fit your needs and come soon enough to avoid to having to throw in the towel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by defilmj View Post
I followed the directions and got WebDav to work on 10.5.
Congratulations! That's definitely a "throw them in the deep end of the pool and hope they can swim" introduction to what's under the hood :)
Quote:
Purchased an Iphone 3G just for the purpose of running OmniFocus despite the horrible 3G network on Wall Street, at NYSE where I work. (If it isn't good there, I don't expect it to be good many other places, and indeed most parts of the largest county in the US (Nassau county, you are in Edge mode).
I'm not sure that it follows that poor 3G network action on Wall Street means it is worse everywhere else. That's a pretty challenging RF environment, and that also doesn't take into account historical factors -- hasn't Verizon long been the dominant carrier in that area? I would expect AT&T to spend its money where its customers are.

Quote:
The point is I am putting up with a lot of grief for Omnifocus instant capture to get rid of 3x5 cards. With my Macbook pro on DHCP, the IP changes every 4 hours at work. This means I have to update the IP on Iphone at least 2-3 times a day. It simply is poor.
So, you do instant capture on the iPhone, but need it promptly reflected on the MBP, is that right? Can't you simply set up a DynDNS account and run the app on your MBP? Then you'll put that DNS name in your iPhone, and every time the DHCP address changes, the new name->address mapping should percolate out to the domain name servers within a couple of minutes, and your iPhone will go to the right address when it tries to sync.

All indications are the Bonjour-based sync should be even easier (assuming you won't need to sync your phone and MBP when they are unable to be on the same network) when OmniFocus for iPhone 1.1 hits the App store. No need to throw in the towel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Congratulations! That's definitely a "throw them in the deep end of the pool and hope they can swim" introduction to what's under the hood :)

I'm not sure that it follows that poor 3G network action on Wall Street means it is worse everywhere else. That's a pretty challenging RF environment, and that also doesn't take into account historical factors -- hasn't Verizon long been the dominant carrier in that area? I would expect AT&T to spend its money where its customers are.

So, you do instant capture on the iPhone, but need it promptly reflected on the MBP, is that right? Can't you simply set up a DynDNS account and run the app on your MBP? Then you'll put that DNS name in your iPhone, and every time the DHCP address changes, the new name->address mapping should percolate out to the domain name servers within a couple of minutes, and your iPhone will go to the right address when it tries to sync.

All indications are the Bonjour-based sync should be even easier (assuming you won't need to sync your phone and MBP when they are unable to be on the same network) when OmniFocus for iPhone 1.1 hits the App store. No need to throw in the towel!
I think Bonjour indeed will work perfect for me. I do need to only sync with my MBP. Can't use DDNS as all services are via proxies and monitored based on regulations. Bonjour would be a big win. I noticed it in setup, but I suspect it is not working with iphone yet. So it looks like we are getting closer by the day. I have to wait... not like there is another REAL alternative... I have looked, and there are systems that are all more effort than capturing the "inbox" instantly because the data becomes difficult to work with. Omnifocus is the closest thing to GTD method. Iphone is my "Capture it at a moments notice" when you don't have a notebook with you. Always have my Iphone.... Perfect.

(There is even a productivity tool that allows use of "Daytimer style" A1.. B1... C1... Blah which of course Mark Allen has some fun with...
Yea, Daytimers worked for me for 10 years, 15 years ago. Oh the pain of copying over the undone items from day to day. As with the GTD method, I have no hard dates on tasks, only on project deliverables so it is so much easier to use when you use it as it was designed. Very cool.

Thanks
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by defilmj View Post
I think Bonjour indeed will work perfect for me. I do need to only sync with my MBP. Can't use DDNS as all services are via proxies and monitored based on regulations. Bonjour would be a big win. I noticed it in setup, but I suspect it is not working with iphone yet. So it looks like we are getting closer by the day. I have to wait... not like there is another REAL alternative... I have looked, and there are systems that are all more effort than capturing the "inbox" instantly because the data becomes difficult to work with. Omnifocus is the closest thing to GTD method. Iphone is my "Capture it at a moments notice" when you don't have a notebook with you. Always have my Iphone.... Perfect.
Hmm, okay, a couple more questions/ideas:

Are you allowed to use your airport interface on your MBP? If not, I'm not sure that Bonjour will be of any more use to you.

If you can use the wireless interface, can you turn on your MBP's web server and connect to it from the iPhone using the your-machine-name.local address (which will be displayed in the Sharing pane in System Preferences), possibly creating your own wireless network?

You might see if your IT group would be willing to set a longer default lease time for your MBP's mac address, like the length of a work day. Setting the address once a day might not be as onerous as every 4 hours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Hmm, okay, a couple more questions/ideas:

Are you allowed to use your airport interface on your MBP? If not, I'm not sure that Bonjour will be of any more use to you.

If you can use the wireless interface, can you turn on your MBP's web server and connect to it from the iPhone using the your-machine-name.local address (which will be displayed in the Sharing pane in System Preferences), possibly creating your own wireless network?

You might see if your IT group would be willing to set a longer default lease time for your MBP's mac address, like the length of a work day. Setting the address once a day might not be as onerous as every 4 hours!
I picked up a VZn Broadband USB 2.0 adapter and have that working for direct connectivity to the Internet. Of course that means I can not be on
their network at all and that is fine. Hence I think WIFI would be ok for
brief periods as long as they are not sweeping for wifi... even though I am not on their network... :(

I have apache enabled on the Ethernet adapter. Now I will have active the
Broadband which I don't want to enable web services on, but want to enable web services on wifi interface. Seems easier for me to do "under the hood" from the linux cli, then working with coco. (I know that seems funny perhaps, but I need to run apache against the wifi but never the Broadband..) Looks like I have some research to do.

Thanks for the heads up on this!;)

Mark

:( I can see Boujour on the MBP, but no love on the iphone yet. This is killing me as I have a bunch of guys that use GTD here, are looking over my shoulder at Omnifocus, but alas I had to add in VIP TO-Do-Lists for Groups, which runs on Windows. Hence I have to run Windows and Parallels just for my task manager that syncs with my iphone as an intrim solution since I am not sure Bonjour is this year, or mid 2009...

I feared I would start to get used to To-do-lists for groups, but will gladly dump it because of the resource usage overhead just to run the one applicaiton, But that depends on how far along Bonjour support is...

Bummed :(