The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MagicalPad-like outline grous Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there

MagicalPad shows a neat way of entering text onto a blan space in a structured way. I may choose either free floating text boxes like I knw them in OG.
Or, in form of litte outlines whith easily changeable indent (swipe!), possibility to merge/split etc.

This is just what I would have loved to see in OGiPad.
Any chance to get such a feature?

I think you may get more responses is you were more specific in your descriptions of the functions you describe, and perhaps avoid function names and descriptions from other products. Ie, if I understood exactly what feature or action you meant, I could respond better.

Two answers.

1. If I want a full-featured note-taker with easily changeable [insert attribute], I suggest OmniOutliner Pro.

From the YouTube video of MagicalPad:
1.a. I do not see that it has any feature that OO does not have. You just have to set the font, etc characteristics for each heading/indent level to make them as sexy as the demo.

1.b. For the multiple columns (the way the demo uses it), simply use three documents, sized to one-third of the landscape. We have the same drag-and-drop, "cloning", etc.

1.c. Going by the video, if that is a decent coverage of the features, then keep in mind that it is only about 10-15% of OO features. Check the other features, it is a note-taker with great articulation of the skeleton.

1.d. It moves/copies/clones the branch of the outline tree ("outline groups" ?) exactly as expected.

Last, there is a seamless import/export between OO and OG.

2. Staying with OG.

2.a. Well, I can do all the functions shown on the video in OG, very easily, if I knew I was going to to them. Simply create the 3-column (or whatever) format, and set the font, etc characteristics for the various levels of headings (that would be Styles, since we do not have Headings), the text boxes, etc, and save it as a Template. Then just drag-and-drop within the one page/document. One additional action required is to set the Style for a moved/copied item.

2.b. It appears that you think there are some restrictions around text boxes and the way text is handled in OG (refer again my opening para). There aren't any, AFAIC, it is way more capable in the text handling department than one expects for a diagramming tool. You just need to find out how to do what you want (the notion that absolute beginners can do anything is fine, but the simple fact is, the more you know any product, the more you can do with it). Have you tried:
• create a rectangle object for the purpose of holding text; disable the Stroke; set the Fill to white with 0% opacity; now enter your text; set the Text margins for the rectangle, etc; set the font, spacing.
• the setting of Tabs and indentation is almost as good as Pages (and OG is not a word processor).
• now drag the rectangle around and reset its size, characteristics, etc, rather than dragging a "free-floating text box" around.

Anyway, I am not trying to say OG is perfect, only that it probably does way more than you realise, and you just need to get a bit of experience with it. Personally, I would like a "pour text" tool, which allows me to pour text that I copied from somewhere, sans its characteristics, and the text takes on the text characteristics of the target object.

Cheers
Derek