The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Background syncing in OF2 for iPhone Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I can actually confirm that the notification bubble did update in the background (I have both Omnifocus 2 on iPad and OmniFocus for iPad running) - the iPhone app updated automatically while the iPad still showed the other flagged task not updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
The new background fetch is actually an iOS 7 feature. Apple describes it as "Intelligently Scheduled Updates". (http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/#multitasking) Rather than OmniFocus (or you) trying to micromanage when new syncs should happen, the OS will try to watch what time of day syncs actually bring in new data and when you use the app to make decisions about when to sync in the background in the future.
That makes it sound like we need to "train" background sync to work? Which for me means background sync likely won't work well for me, because I don't create tasks at a standard time - it's pretty random throughout the day.

I've found that just opening an app (Dispatch mail app) a few times a day means it now consistently syncs every 30 minutes or so. It didn't take much training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma2k View Post
Most OF2 on the iPhone stay in the background for this? So if I restart my iPhone, I have to open OF2 so it stays in the background?
Yes, iOS7's background syncing activities only happen for apps which are running in the background. So if you reboot your phone, you'll need to reopen OmniFocus before it will sync.