The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Enhancement suggestion: bring back Script Menu for OO Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
Keyboard Maestro throws up a menu for any keystroke which has been assigned to several different macros/scripts for the same application.

If the names of the macros start with a unique digit [1-9], you can choose from the menu by typing that digit (otherwise, of course, a mouse click).

I use, for example, a set of OmniOutliner macros which apply the Nth custom text color (Nth position from the left at the bottom of the text color inspector), but you can assemble any kind of custom script palette that you want.

--
Rob, thanks as well. I knew about things ilke QuicKeys, etc., but hadn't heard of Keyboard Maestro. I will check it out and see if it will work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJHeumann View Post
whpalmer4: Thanks for this...that's actually how I figured some of this out. It really should have some mention in the manual, though...
Well, it is standard Mac OS X stuff, where should the line be drawn? Omni has enough trouble keeping the code they write documented!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Well, it is standard Mac OS X stuff, where should the line be drawn? Omni has enough trouble keeping the code they write documented!
That's my point...the features regarding scripting have absolutely no mention in the OmniOutliner manual. Not even a mention that it can be scripted, or what to do with scripts. I have 6 scripts in my task bar/toolbar, but no mention of what or how to deal with them or how to deal with more.

The Mac OS continues to evolve, so there's no way they can track all that, but certainly a mention of how OO integrates with that is called for. That's all I'm asking for... ;->

The features list on the OmniOutliner product page does prominently mention that OmniOutliner is scriptable with AppleScript, and there's a question on the General FAQ on the product page talking about accessing attachments with AppleScript, so it isn't a very well-kept secret.

I'm not sure that any part of the OmniOutliner manual qualifies as an in-depth treatment.

Geez, next you're going to be complaining that there isn't any discussion of the Automator actions, either :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
The features list on the OmniOutliner product page does prominently mention that OmniOutliner is scriptable with AppleScript, and there's a question on the General FAQ on the product page talking about accessing attachments with AppleScript, so it isn't a very well-kept secret.

I'm not sure that any part of the OmniOutliner manual qualifies as an in-depth treatment.

Geez, next you're going to be complaining that there isn't any discussion of the Automator actions, either :-)
I can see we're getting nowhere with this. Not sure why you're getting adversarial about this. Here's my point, and I'm done...

If an app allows you to integrate scripts with what you do, to the point of installing them on the windows toolbar, it ought to be addressed, or at least mentioned. Especially how to install and then remove them. That is not mentioned at all in any documentation. Period.

An in-depth treatment is not what I'm looking for--just a clue.

I use OO most every day, and have for some time, and it seems not right that I have to go through all of this to find out something basic.

Well, once again, this is a system feature, albeit with a bit of additional tweaking by Omni. I took a quick look at several other AppleScriptable apps on my system, and I don't think you would be happy with the level of documentation of their scriptability. Rob and others have put together that FAQ. The online help in OmniOutliner does mention AppleScript, putting scripts in the toolbar and in the Scripts menu. The OmniOutliner product page has a collection of sample scripts which can be used outright or as source material for your own scripts. The manual has been around for a long time, and specific references to how to do some of the AppleScript-related tasks would be out of date. The last copyright date on the manual is 2006!

No question about it that it would be possible to document this all more extensively. There is some room for questioning whether doing so would be the best possible use of the limited bandwidth of the Omni documentation writers. The people wanting to use OmniPlan for the iPad might regard having any documentation at all as a better use, for example! Having a more comprehensive manual for OmniOutliner 4 would be another.

With any Omni product, the best way to influence future direction is to send them email feedback, either with Help->Send Feedback, or directly to <product>@omnigroup.com.