The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

<em> and <i> sometimes displays italic gibberish Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
From time to time I've seen a line of gibberish like this:
Ygnn.vqtc(.yg)xg"iqv"c" (and so on)
I just looked into the problem on this page (which will disappear after July 2):
http://maczot.com/wow/
The gibberish text is displayed in italics and comes from <em> tags. The first gibberish is the second sentence of the first paragraph (after "... multiple clipboard & scrapbook.").

Using View Source, I changed the <em> tags to <i> with the same result.

When I selected the gibberish and dragged the selected text into this message, the correct text appeared.

The italic text is fine in Savari 2.0.3 and WebKit r13302.

A variation of the problem text appears near the top of another page, with the italic text correctly displayed:
http://www.maczot.com/discuss/
Do others see the same gibberish?

[copy of my formal bug report]

It looks fine to me.

I've seen this with Safari though. It's a font conflict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
It's a font conflict.
The italic gibberish is showing up more often than before (or perhaps the font gods are angry I reported the problem).

Since others are not seeing the problem, how do I go about resolving it on my Mac?

I finally got annoyed enough by this problem (which also showed up occasionally in Mail) that I tracked down and zapped it.

VersionTracker led me to Mark Douma's Font Finagler, which cleaned my Tiger font caches and restored proper italic text.