The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

text list to project tasks? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have a return-delimited list of song names that I want to add to a project as individual tasks; eg, 10 songs -> 10 tasks.

how do I do this?

Import doesn't work. Paste doesn't work.

cheers,
Gregory

Paste will work, but you have to be in the right spot. Create a blank action in your destination project or single action list. Select that action by clicking on the little dot to the left of the completion checkbox. The entire line should be highlighted. Now paste and you'll get new rows for each line on the clipboard. If you paste while the action name is open for editing, you'll get a multi-line action name, instead of a bunch of actions.

Example list:

task 1
task 2
task 3
task 4
task 5

Project open, properly selected for pasting:

result after pasting:

The blank line is annoying, but more easily removed than typing in all those rows by hand.

project open, improperly selected for pasting:

result after pasting:

If you don't have that blank line in there and just have the project header selected, when you paste you'll get the lines on the clipboard turned into new projects, which seems like a bug to me, especially if you've clicked most recently in the outline, not the sidebar.

very cool! it works as explained.

THANK YOU.

now someone please add it to the Help document, and be sure to include the search tags "Import" and "Paste".

cheers,
Gregory