The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Don't divide tasks between people Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there any way to stop OmniPlan from dividing tasks.

As an example, I have my task list created, and have a group of two resources called Developers (with two resources inside Fred and John). Fred works 80% of the time on this project, John can spare 20% of his time. Tasks are all assigned to the "Developers" group.

If I now level the project, all tasks assigned to Developers will be split - 80% of each task will be assigned to Fred and 20% to John, but their task list will be exactly the same. I would like that about 80% of the tasks would go to Fred and 20% of the tasks would go to John. I do not want my tasks to be split between people as I already have broken each task down into its own distinct work package.

Am I missing something here to fix this?

I see what you're trying to do, but there's one issue with this that might cause complications.

Let's say you're assigning the "Developers" group to a group of 10 tasks. Right now, OmniPlan will assign both Fred and John to all 10 with different levels of effort. If you want to assign John to only 2 of those tasks, and Fred to the other 8, how would you like OmniPlan to decide which of those two tasks are assigned to John. Are your tasks set up in a way so that it really doesn't matter which tasks John gets, as long as he gets 2 to work on by himself?

I think I was trying to get Omniplan to do too much. You are right the situation is rare when I would be happy for the software to choose who does what, although in the instance above that is exactly what I wanted. I think the option should be there to do this, especially if it could use taskgroups to try and divide it so that groups of related tasks could be divided up between resources without caring about who got what, as long as resources were assigned whole groups of tasks rather than the taskgroup being divided between different resources.

If you assign both resources to the parent task at 100%, but adjust their working hours (in calendar view) to, say, 40 hrs/week and 10 hrs/week, then level, Fred will get 4 times as much of the work as John.