The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trying to like OmniFocus, but ..... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Oh well.... Let's just revisit this thread when OmniFocus 2 comes out. By that time, we'll see if OmniFocus 2 offers enough of a paradigm shift. We can all agree that OmniFocus 1.x was great in the '90s with a single user model. We can also agree that we have high hopes for OmniFocus 2.

However, like Doc said, there are so many web-based project management programs that offers one advantage that OmniFocus doesn't have: it works cross-platformable because it can work in almost every modern web browser.

It appears that OmniFocus will stay in their niche within the Apple ecosystem. It will work only on iOS devices and Macs.

There will always be folks who refuse to kowtow to the Apple world thinking that they're getting the shaft. But then I remind people about other ecosystems such as Google, Android, and Facebook that have also ensnared so many of us.

Perhaps some folks might be more comfortable working with the Asanas and Base Camps of the world. That would offer that collaborative, use anywhere feature set that seems to be highly desirable for those of us who need such features.

There will always be some feature that we missed from one program and would love to add to another program. But that's the nature of life.

OK, make a date, 2013, 2014?!

OmniPlan (for iPad) gets released tomorrow (7 June). I found the commercial hilariously awful, undoubtedly what was intended!

I'll await the reviews with interest. I doubt I'll be splashing the $50 though...

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2012-06-06 at 07:00 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
... We're holding off purchasing hardware at the moment, given that it's been over two years since the Mac Pro was last updated.
http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/05/after-...pro-next-week/

--
JJW

Thanks so much for that Doc, appreciate it. I've been gingerly sitting on $200k of budget, waiting to see if I was going to have to splash the cash on Windoze. It's definitely Xmas for my crew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
Thanks so much for that Doc, appreciate it ...
You can buy me a beer some day should our paths cross. :-)

--
JJW

I'm hoping OmniFocus 2 is released before the end of the Mayan Calendar on Dec 21, 2012.

But now even that calendar is up for debate:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/may...ry?id=11926347

;-)

After watching the OmniPlan for iPad video, I can't help but shake the feeling that OmniPlan will be used for multi-user collaborative projects and OmniFocus will settle for the single-user niche.

I can see OmniPlan for iPad being the entry point for people who need the collaborative model. I wouldn't say I wouldn't try it. But it is something to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJJWMac View Post
You can buy me a beer some day should our paths cross.
It'll be our pleasure! OK, back to wondering what the form factor will be.... ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
I'm hoping OmniFocus 2 is released before the end of the Mayan Calendar on Dec 21, 2012.

But now even that calendar is up for debate:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/may...ry?id=11926347
"According to recent research, the mythological update of "OmniFocus" may be off by 50 to 100 years."
OK, yup, the truth is out there. :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
After watching the OmniPlan for iPad video, I can't help but shake the feeling that OmniPlan will be used for multi-user collaborative projects and OmniFocus will settle for the single-user niche.

I can see OmniPlan for iPad being the entry point for people who need the collaborative model. I wouldn't say I wouldn't try it. But it is something to think about.
It's interesting, so far I've resisted purchasing now it's available for the iPad, probably because I know I'll just have a play and delete it, plus I'd have to reinstall OmniPlan back on to my desktop!

I think the lack of integration has probably been a factor in my also having deleted OG, OO, & OGS. It's a shame, but I've just got so used to being able to link or exchange data between apps, it seems archaic and disfunctional when apps can't do it, especially when they're from the same developer. :(

Just been reading one of the launch threads over at OmniPlan for iPad. No export. Nada. I'm so glad I didn't splash the cash. The OmniFolk just don't seem to grasp the meaning of integration and collaboration. Ho-hum.

Yes, it is sad that there not even an export to PDF option. This would make life easier for us to share with clients our project plans.

But then again, this is version 1.0. The basic idea was to get OmniPlan for iPad out the door. As always, Omni Group will be release version 1.1 in response to customer feedback. It's not bad for a version 1.0 launch, actually.

I'm sure that export to PDF and Microsoft Project will be tops on that list.