The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to (default) collapse projects list sidebar? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there any way to ensure the left hand sidebar--the listing of projects and folders--has everything collapsed (rather than expanded) whenever I open OF?

I have a huge number of projects, over 100, and I'd prefer not to see everything expanded whenever I open OF. I'd like to set up 4-10 folders, and just see them.

Thanks for any info!

I'm not aware of any sort of default preference, but what I do before I shut down OF for the day is select any one item in the left sidebar, then go to the menu and select View>Collapse All. I also do this for the right panel.

Not the cleanest solution, perhaps--I agree that a default pref option would be nice--but it works for me.

P.S. After I posted this I thought of another quicker way: Create a "Close" perspective. One click before closing OF and it's done. In fact, I'm going to create that perspective for myself right now.

P.P.S. I just finished creating the new perspective, which I named "Shut-down." I set both panels as described in my original post, added the new perspective, named it, selected an image for it, went to Customize Toolbar and dragged that image to my toolbar, and then tested it. Works great!

Last edited by keone; 2008-12-30 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: Added perspective idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keone View Post
Create a "Close" perspective. One click before closing OF and it's done
Brilliant! A hack rather than a setting, granted, but it works!

I have a "Home" perspective (named "Today"), so I just collapsed the left-hand sidebar for that and saved. Works like a charm. I'm sure I can train myself to click on that before closing the app.

I didn't know you could have custom icons for Perspectives. Drag and drop? Have to try that.

You could combine that with my script here to get rid of any excess windows at the same time, which the suggestion above will not do.