The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

No "New Action"/"New Context" menu items in 1.7? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
What happened to the "New Action" and "New Context" menu items? I'm hoping your answer will not be that you removed them from the interface in favor of "New Quick Entry."

If you right-click (or control-click if you've got a one-button mouse) the popup menu that results gives you Add Action as the selected item. Or, there's the Add Action toolbar button. I just click on the action prior to where I want to add a new action and hit return.

I don't see an Add Context menu item anywhere in 1.6.1 or 1.0.3.

I'm aware there are other ways to get to the concept of New Action. However, it used to be a menu item -- and you could use Mac OS X's keyboard shortcuts preference pane to assign a memorable keystroke to it. Now, you have to already have focus in the outline, and you hit Return.

As for "New Context"/"Add Context", I'm almost certain it was a menu option in the File menu when you were in Contexts mode.

Honestly, this change may seem minor to most, but it makes OmniFocus nearly unusable for me. It's no longer a "mind like water" kind of app.

You make a good point about the keyboard shortcut, which I hadn't considered. Send in feedback with Help->Send Feedback, or probably even more satisfying, call them up (800-315-OMNI), and tell them you need the menu command back.

There was an Add Action and an Add Project (and Add Single-Action List), but no Add Context.

In addition to Bill's suggestion re: the Return key, can I suggest that you add your former New Action keyboard shortcut as your Quick Entry shortcut?
That way, you don't need to remember one shortcut to use while OmniFocus is in front, and a second one when you're working in some other app.

It's true that Quick Entry doesn't give you keyboard focus in a window that doesn't have it, but there were a bunch of cases where what New Action did while giving you keyboard focus was bad.

No KB focus in Project View - New action created in the Inbox, changing your view and nuking whatever it was showing before.

No KB focus in Context View - New miscellaneous action appears in whatever bucket was at the bottom of the window. If this was a context, the action was assigned to that context, whether you wanted it to be or not. You also had to a select all in the project cell to assign the action to some other project if you didn't actually want a miscellaneous action.

As a customer service guy, I know how hard it is for folks to un-learn something they're used to. In this case, though, I really think it's worth it. Of course, if after trying it for a few days, you still hate it, we want to know!

Last edited by Brian; 2009-09-30 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: add support ninja link