The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Creating a Project in Inbox in 1.8? (Cmd+K) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
During a weekly review, or any morning/evening review i'll always go into my OF inbox and create projects out of the individual inbox items I see.

I'll create parent and child actions and each time when I'm done creating a project I always hit cmd+k for it to clean up, outta my inbox and into the left pane in OF...but now w/ 1.8 nothing happens at all. In fact, even upon getting out of the inbox to say, contexts and then come back, the projects i've created in the inbox still remain there and only there. Same deal if I close OF and then reopen it..

It's interupted my workflow but I love this forum so much I'm sure an solution is around the corner. Btw, I don't mind learning a new command; it's just a matter of getting used to.

I just want the ease of creating intricate and complex projects in the inbox and w/ a snap be able to have them out of there towards and empty inbox.

Thank guys!

Might be worth a visit to:
OmniFocus > Preferences > Data > Cleanup

I think the challenge is that you can only create actions and action groups in the Inbox-not projects. I don't recall how/if this worked in 1.7x, but that's been my experience with 1.8.

Same here, only groups. You can create a new project from the project field in the task, though (Press cmd+enter after typing or pasting). Or drop the entire group onto the proper folder in the sidebar which will turn it into a project, keeping the header as title.

You can outdent an inbox item (Command-[) to promote it into a project, in addition to the other mechanisms mentioned above (dragging it to the sidebar, or creating and assigning a new project name using Command-Return).

(Clean Up used to promote any inbox groups into projects in 1.7, but with 1.8's auto-cleanup that meant there was no way to drag a project or group back into the inbox and have it stay there. Plus, it just wasn't obvious that that was going to happen when cleaning up!)

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
Might be worth a visit to:
OmniFocus > Preferences > Data > Cleanup
The photo attached shows the settings in OF>Pref>Data>Cleanup

When creating a project in the inbox, and wanting to clean up, nothing happens...yet when creating a single action with a context, then the clean up works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
You can outdent an inbox item (Command-[) to promote it into a project, in addition to the other mechanisms mentioned above (dragging it to the sidebar, or creating and assigning a new project name using Command-Return).

(Clean Up used to promote any inbox groups into projects in 1.7, but with 1.8's auto-cleanup that meant there was no way to drag a project or group back into the inbox and have it stay there. Plus, it just wasn't obvious that that was going to happen when cleaning up!)

Hope this helps!
This seems to be an appropiate solution for my needs. It is just a matter of rewiring the habit of creating action groups solely in the inbox to consciously making it a project before or after writing the project out w/ Command-[.

Thanks Ken!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-09-13 at 11.38.28 AM.png
Views:	539
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1580