The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Offline Mode Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OFFLINE MODE - OFFLINE MODE - OFFLINE MODE

So many years have past since IE introduced OFFLINE MODE yet no other Browser on the Mac actually has this vital element that actually works.

So many times do i find myself in a situation where i have brief net access in a remote location for a very limited time. I attempt to load all the pages so then i can go back to my room an spend hours viewing the information. Yet this is impossible on the Mac!!!

The cache tip here may be of use: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...ighlight=cache

That statement, however, is no longer accurate (well, sort of.) They now have it so it does restore form data.

I think there's some other threads on this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
The cache tip here may be of use: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...ighlight=cache

That statement, however, is no longer accurate (well, sort of.) They now have it so it does restore form data.

I think there's some other threads on this as well.
This does NOT work PERIOD!!

Load any page while on the net. Turn your machine off go back to anbother loaction with no net and select a page from the history menu, OmniWeb like Safari will report

'cant load address because its not connected to the internet'

This is my worst nightmare a browser that loads hundreds of megabytes of content to the hard disk yet cannot access ANYTHING when a connection is not present. This is the dark ages of the internet, geesus my 1997 Mac OS 7.6.1 machine with iCab could do this. As is proved time and again the Mac is useless on the WWW compared to Windows browsers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayon
This does NOT work PERIOD!!

Load any page while on the net. Turn your machine off go back to anbother loaction with no net and select a page from the history menu, OmniWeb like Safari will report
Well, I just tried that tip with OW and it worked fine. I created a new workspace, set it to auto-save while browsing and went to a page. Then I quit OW, ran the command in the terminal and turned off airport (my only connection to the network.) Then I launched OW and the same came back up without error.

Quote:
As is proved time and again the Mac is useless on the WWW compared to Windows browsers.
If you actually want help, keep your snide remarks to yourself. That said, I wouldn't want to save a fool from his folly...

Well it doesn't WORK here.

In Terminal

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 WorkspacesLoadFromCache -bool true

In OmniWeb

Created workspace entitled "Offline Mode" , enabled Autosave. Placed my window and resized to my preference took a snapshot. Loaded a site, clicked links, hit back button clicked other links, back button, clicked more links back button, created a new tab clicked links, hit back button click links clicked back button, did so for several more newly created tabs.

Quit Omniweb.

Shutdown machine. Restarted with not network cable connected. Launched OW, workspace loaded window with all Tabs and LAST VIEWED content. Clicked on visited links :

Error

Cannot Load Address Stopped loading : no Internet connection

In Internet Exploder for Windows.

Load all the pages and sites you want disconnect from web Select "Offline Mode" in File Menu, click on any previous link or select anything from the history menu, every page loads without issue an without.

How Hard can it be on the Mac?

Wouldn't it be useful if u set Mail.app to "Offline" mode and suddenly you couldn't read ANY message because everything loaded a blank message? Great ..... NOT!!

Mac browsing still sux IMO.

Can you provide a link to the site you tried it on? I have a feeling the pages may be dynamically generated and OW does distinguish between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Can you provide a link to the site you tried it on? I have a feeling the pages may be dynamically generated and OW does distinguish between the two.

sure

duc.digidesign.com
forums.macnn.com
forums.omniweb.com
harmony-central.com

I clicked randomly on several threads in each forums. As mentioned the last viewed page is saved but traversing the visited links on each page would not load.

ahhhh, yes. As I suspected, dynamically generated pages. I ran through the same steps, but with two tabs:
1. a site I built that is basic PHP, no DB
2. forums.omnigroup.com

Tab #1 loaded as expected, tab #2 couldn't load the address.

IE on Windows does load dynamic sites from cache (and I just checked IE7 RC1... but now my network connection is foobar :( )

You may consider contacting the OG directly and finding out if there's a way you can change how dynamic content is treated. Not the easy fix you're looking for, but at least now we know why this hidden preference doesn't work for you.

Due to security considerations, certain content is not supposed to be cached--and any such content will not be taking up room on your disk.

However, for cacheable content, the hidden preference for workspaces only affects the initial load of the workspace. Beyond that, using the back/forward buttons already prefers cached content. However clicking on links does not.

We ought to be able to add such a feature relatively easily, but it was not a priority when we were trying to ship 5.5.

FWIW, I could care less about offline browsing. OW is not an offline browser, it's a very good online one. The current handling of the cache (and pageload speed) is excellent.