The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Soft Return? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is it possible to use a "soft return" with the iPad keyboard?
I'd like to be able to break a paragraph within a field.
I've never figured it out on the desktop version either. I really like throwing in forced line breaks in my text chunks and have often get frustrated by this in OO.

The closest you can come is entering them as notes and then copying/pasting them into the row. It's a hack of a solution and not really a solution at all but it's one way of doing it.

There is a thread about this topic here.

You're looking for something like this?

Most direct way to do that right now is to open up the note for your row, type a period followed by however many blank lines you want. Copy and paste that into the row at the desired break, and delete the period if you didn't need it. Once you've got one such line break, you can just copy it elsewhere. If this sort of thing is your bread and butter, make a row via this technique that looks like

A

B

C

and duplicate that row a bunch of times. Save it as a template. Duplicate the template when you're ready to write this way, and just double-tap a letter and start typing.

Wouldn't hurt to send in feedback with the Contact Omni button to get a swifter way to do this!

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2011-05-14 at 02:58 PM..

Ah! That works, though it is way cumbersome. But at least it works, thanks.

From a cognitive viewpoint I'd hate to have to deal with that. Every time I felt inclined to hit return I'd have to interrupt my thinking process and down arrow instead, or tap the screen. When I'm writing I don't want to have to interrupt it to deal with that kind of thing.

I think composing in the notes field would work better but to each his or her own, of course. It's a reasonably good idea as long as you don't mind having to correct yourself before hitting return :)

Desktop: option return.

ooh yeah, I actually knew about option-return and for some reason forgot it worked with OO. I thought I tested it and found it didn't. Must have typed wrong.