The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Why syncing to iCal? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I might miss something pretty obvious but ... why would I like to sync OF with iCal???

I'm using OF on my iTouch so I don't need iCal for getting todo items on a mobile device. Is there any other reason to sync with iCal??
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
I might miss something pretty obvious but ... why would I like to sync OF with iCal???

I'm using OF on my iTouch so I don't need iCal for getting todo items on a mobile device. Is there any other reason to sync with iCal??
If you wanted to use iCal or you wanted to use the "To do" list in the Apple Mail application, perhaps.
 
Before I bought an iPhone I synced to be able to access my tasks from the MobileMe Web portal. Now I sync to nothing but OmniFocus on my iPhone, and I don't use the Apple Mail/iCal to-do functionality at all.
 
The reason we implemented syncing with iCal was to let you sync your tasks with mobile devices: I stopped syncing with iCal the moment I switched from a Treo to an iPhone. (And then I had to survive without a mobile task list until we released OmniFocus for iPhone…)
 
OK. Good, then I can forget about that part of OF :)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
OK. Good, then I can forget about that part of OF :)
No. The Calendar is essential tool in GTD workflow. Anyhing that is "hard landscape" should go directly from the lists (OFO) to calendar (iCal) and be worked on from there.

Unfortunately, OFO does not allow this without some applescripting.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmilovan View Post
No. The Calendar is essential tool in GTD workflow. Anyhing that is "hard landscape" should go directly from the lists (OFO) to calendar (iCal) and be worked on from there.

Unfortunately, OFO does not allow this without some applescripting.
I'm not sure what you mean by "OFO does not allow this..."?

True, OmniFocus doesn't move things to iCal automatically, but there's nothing preventing you from dragging an action's title text into iCal to create a new "hard landscape" event. I do this all the time:
  1. Select an action in my OmniFocus inbox
  2. Tab once to the action's title field
  3. Drag selected title into iCal to create an event

You can, of course, automate this with AppleScript to a certain degree. But it's not really a question of OmniFocus allowing or disallowing anything.

-Dennis
 
Perfect - Thanks - and thanks for the reply to my crashing problem!!
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "OFO does not allow this..."?

True, OmniFocus doesn't move things to iCal automatically, but there's nothing preventing you from dragging an action's title text into iCal to create a new "hard landscape" event. I do this all the time:
  1. Select an action in my OmniFocus inbox
  2. Tab once to the action's title field
  3. Drag selected title into iCal to create an event

You can, of course, automate this with AppleScript to a certain degree. But it's not really a question of OmniFocus allowing or disallowing anything.

-Dennis
Of course you can do it manually one by one, but it is daunting task. Here we are speaking about syncing feature, and syncing feature does not allow this.The most natural way will be if we could choose to sync only flagged items, and that is not possible without applescripting.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmilovan View Post
Of course you can do it manually one by one, but it is daunting task. Here we are speaking about syncing feature, and syncing feature does not allow this.The most natural way will be if we could choose to sync only flagged items, and that is not possible without applescripting.
Just how much "hard landscape" stuff do you want to have in your calendar? And why would you want to have everything that you had flagged be synced into the calendar? That would seem to guarantee that you end up with a lot of stuff that is not "hard landscape" in the calendar!
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iCal syncing apb123 OmniFocus 1 for Mac 12 2013-02-13 08:09 AM
syncing with iCal factoringwizard OmniFocus 1 for Mac 4 2009-10-09 02:45 AM
No ICAL Syncing kalbertine iCal Sync 1 2008-08-31 11:13 PM
Syncing with iCal pneal iCal Sync 7 2007-09-28 07:11 PM
iCal syncing - one way? md2017 iCal Sync 3 2007-07-31 01:43 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.