The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Time for change? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I also checked out the new Things. Totally love the interface and the use of tags, but I'll stick with OF.

That said, though, I would love to see development in two directions:

(i) I would absolutely love the ability to tag tasks. You can still call them contexts if you want -- just let me assign more than one to a task.

(ii) A simpler interface would be great. I never, ever, ever use Map, Forecast, Search or Perspectives on my iPhone. I wish I had the option to hide them from the main screen.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
... I never, ever, ever use Map, Forecast, Search or Perspectives on my iPhone. I wish I had the option to hide them from the main screen.
You do know that you can edit the list (three horizontal bars) and move the various tabs around?

--
JJW
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJJWMac View Post
You do know that you can edit the list (three horizontal bars) and move the various tabs around?

--
JJW
Sure, but you can't hide any of them.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
I never, ever, ever use Map, Forecast, Search or Perspectives on my iPhone.
why on earth don't you use forecast? one of the best features of mobile, I couldn't live without it.

Tried things, doesn't even come close to cutting it for me, just not fitting my GTD at all. I use nested on pretty much every single task.

My only thing is multiple tags/contexts as well, but its not that big of deal
 
I agree.... Forecast is the best part for someone like me who has a deadline-driven life.

I can see how some users don't have the need for contexts because they tend to have a workload based on projects instead of contexts.

This flexible approach that OmniFocus has given me won me over. But I know there will be some folks who won't need all those capabilities in the same way many folks are happy with iPhoto but don't need even 5% of Photoshop's power. So they're happy with Apple's Preview.

Some folks won't need or understand the power of OmniFocus and just want something easier to use. Or they'll want something that is more conducive to their way of thinking. So they'll switch to Things. Otherwise they'll stay with OmniFocus.

I'm kinda glad that Things is around to give an alternative and provide a spark for OmniFocus.

This reminds me of the OS wars. Windows and Mac OS will be the newest darling on the block and all eyes are focused on the newest release. They'll leapfrog each other in terms of features, ease of use, functionality. In the end, everyone wins.

Last edited by wilsonng; 2012-08-20 at 05:51 PM..
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
I agree.... Forecast is the best part for someone like me who has a deadline-driven life.
This is kind of my point; why can't we have this on the Mac? I won't repeat all the stuff in my previous post, but even thought Omni does not like to pre-announce, can we get a hint here? i know this is unfair (and the reason why Omni doesn't want to talk), but Brian at Omni was talking about 2.0 in May 2009, over three years ago: http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=12087

Last edited by Brian; 2012-08-15 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: add missing close-quote tag
 
One thing about Things that I really don't like is the information overload you get when you click on 'Next'. It always shows all your tasks by default. Ok sure you can click on different tags in the bar on top, but it still annoys me that everytime you click on it you see everything that's available, also the tasks you can't do in your particular context of that moment.

Is anyone else annoyed by this or is it just me?

Details like this always make me come back to OF where I only see what I choose to see.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanWoo View Post
One thing about Things that I really don't like is the information overload you get when you click on 'Next'. It always shows all your tasks by default. Ok sure you can click on different tags in the bar on top, but it still annoys me that everytime you click on it you see everything that's available, also the tasks you can't do in your particular context of that moment.

Is anyone else annoyed by this or is it just me?

Details like this always make me come back to OF where I only see what I choose to see.
Yeah, a lot of folks will miss the power of perspectives and it takes quite a bit of a learning curve to finally understand perspectives. I love OmniFocus perspectives and the ability to focus or view my projects/tasks in different ways.

If only there was another workflow to perspectives that makes it easy for beginners to digest and power users to fully harness... *sigh*
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
Yeah, a lot of folks will miss the power of perspectives and it takes quite a bit of a learning curve to finally understand perspectives. I love OmniFocus perspectives and the ability to focus or view my projects/tasks in different ways.

If only there was another workflow to perspectives that makes it easy for beginners to digest and power users to fully harness... *sigh*
Yeah idd. It took me quite a long time to figure it out, but I'm glad I did :)
 
I have noticed the same issue. My problem with regard to Things 2 is this: while it allows for repeating tasks, you can't associate a repeating task with a project. That combined with the lack of subtasks makes Things 2 useless to me. :( I sure am ready for some Omnifocus updates, though - such as being able to see project-based perspectives on the iphone or ipad, some sort or prioritization options, even if it's allowing the use of task duration on the iphone and ipad. Of course, I would also love to be able assign multiple contexts to a task. Even with those shortcomings, Omnifocus is still the best thing out there for my workflow.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Change default due time okuhl OmniFocus for iPhone 7 2013-04-05 07:09 AM
off hours versus MY time zone change swb OmniPlan General 2 2012-08-22 01:23 PM
Change the default time Hansg OmniFocus for iPad 2 2012-08-15 04:12 AM
Time to change Sticky above to OmniFocus 1.5 for Mac to Sync braver OmniFocus for iPhone 4 2008-10-28 05:59 PM
Change default time in Due Date? Taylorgus OmniFocus 1 for Mac 2 2008-08-28 01:25 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.